Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Average amount you spend on start of new school year?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM
  • 23 Replies

What do you typically spend (per child) for all of the new school year stuff;  supplies, clothes, back pack, shoes, lunchbox, etc? 

Do you do most of your shopping in one place,  or several?

Does your state have a tax-free weekend before school starts,  if so,  is that when you do your shopping,  or do you do it ahead of time to avoid the crowds?

by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM
This year will be different now that I have to buy school pe uniforms and textbooks and lanyards and I d . But typically a couple pairs of pants, back packs and stationary supplies . This year may prove difficult. As we now have uniforms and such. We are also having to updated the kids wardrobe which will likely cost 200+ dollars. So not looking toward to shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 7:05 PM

We do have a tax free weekend but I don't participate in it for 2 reasons. (my kids start school before they do it and the stores are always over crowded and nothing left)

I usually save a certain amount out of my tax return every year for school supplies and such. I do know next year I will have to save more due to having my mini me starting Kindergarten. 

I can't really say how much I spend on each kids since they wear uniforms and I won't buy news ones unless they outgrew the ones from the year before or if they are not nice enough to use the following year.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM

We have an only child.

School supplies are usually about $75, even after reusing some. I spent $40 for the pre-purchase supplies. He'll be reusing his headphone and USB storage drive. I still need to get tissues and supplies for science class.

We don't buy a backpack every year.

I only spend about $100 in pants and shoes for the start of the school year.

We do not have a tax-free weekend, but you can deduct school supplies when filing for state taxes.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

We no longer have a tax free weekend. Thankfully my ex usually buys half of the stuff, so I only end up being out about $50-$75. I buy clothes throughout the year as needed and their Nana buys their shoes and a few other things.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM

It really does vary greatly how much I spend from year to year because I only buy them what they need, when they need it.  If their shoes still fit and still look nice, I'm not buying them a new pair just because it is the start of school, same with clothing. 

Pennsylvania doesn't have tax on clothing or shoes, so we don't have to wait for a tax free weekend to shop for that kind of stuff.  I don't even think PA has a tax free weekend since we don't pay sales tax anything deemed a necessity like food and clothing.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Usually about 90$.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epilepsymom
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:09 AM

The school provides all supplies so the only thing I spend money on is backpack, lunch box.. We buy clothes and shoes through out the year as needed.. She gets 2 new outfits for back to school and thats it

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I spend on average $200 per child for clothing. Not all at once. I break it out on a need to have and season purchase.

School supplies vary in what is needed and what I have in my stock pile. So usually about $50 per child. And that is from start to finish.

So my grand total for the year just for clothing and supplies is $750.

But then there are the cost for PTO fees, classroom fees(party fund), and hair cuts. School pictures, bake sales, school fundraisers I buy from.  So I can end up spending nearly a grand for the school year, if not more. 

TJFBGMommy
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I've never really thought about how much I spend, I just got what we needed.

We have to send in $20 per child in the primary classes. They only get a new lunchbox/backpack every other year unless they fell apart. So this year I just need 1 of each.  All the kids need 2 pairs of shoes. My 2 kids in the primary program I can get shoes for about $25 a pair. My 7th grader wears a 10 1/2 ww in mens.  Those shoes on sale are about $65 a pair. UGH!  They each get 5 new outfits unless they didn't grow out of everything from the previous school year. Which they all did. another UGH! Then there are intensive fees, which can be between $15 and $500 depending on what intensive the kids choose and what's available. Oh and this year I get to buy a new cello since my 7th grader grew out of our 3/4 cello.  There's another $700 at least.

We go to many, many different stores and order a lot of stuff online.

No sales tax at all, ever here. So glad I don't have to think about that. :)

KTMOM
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:41 AM

It varies for us from year to year.  I also try to make things last so I don't have to get new things every year.  My son's backback is really durable (and it was given to us by a friend, so it was free!!) so it should last at least a few more years.  He has a couple of lunchboxes that are perfectly fine.  I also buy clothes as needed,  so this year I only spent about 70 dollars on shirts and jeans for him at Kohl's and told him I will get him a new pair of shoes before school starts.  School supplies usually average around $40,  but I think this year I have a lot of things on hand he can use,  from folders, pencils, paper, to the flash drive he is supposed to have.  The school requires a $50 fee for things like lab stuff and all that,  and it bugs me,  but it is what it is.... 

We do have a tax free weekend and I have done it before if I am buying a LOT of stuff,  but honestly,  saving ten bucks and dealing with insane crowds is not worth my sanity.  LOL  Same reason I don't do black Friday nonsense at Christmas!  :)  Besides,  we will actually be out of state on our tax free weekend here..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)