Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

9 1/2 year old daughter having stomach pains...is she too young to start her period?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 9 1/2 year old daughter has been complaining of stomach pains lately.  Our first reaction is to tell them to sit on the toilet when their stomachs hurt and poop!  This doesnt seem to solve her problems.  I'm wondering if she is having cramps and getting ready to start her period.  What are the ages that girls are starting these days?  I was 11 but cant remember if I was cramping before hand.  What are others experience with this?? 

by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fineyouguyswin
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM

My little girl is still way to young she is 3 I think I was 10 or 11. I don't remember cramping alot though. Maybe she has a tummy bug?? My son has been complaining alot to not sure why.

birdiemom
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM
How about the heat? My dd has been having cramps, and I think she is affected by the heat, and being too active in it at camp. Any way she could be having cramps- I had a friend that started at 10
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

It could be just about anything bothering her stomach, even the heat.

However, 9 is a normal age for them to start these days.

Some signs to look for are a  thick white discharge in her panties, moodswings etc..

itsallabtthem84
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM

This

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

It could be just about anything bothering her stomach, even the heat.

However, 9 is a normal age for them to start these days.

Some signs to look for are a  thick white discharge in her panties, moodswings etc..

Tamaralynn30
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM
I was 9. So it could be possible. Has she complained about blood? Does she know what to look for?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
divinity1979
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Thank you for the responses.  She knows what to look for because I am very open with her about it and what happens and all that.  I was just wondering what ages girls were starting these days.  It really has been going on for some time now so I may just need to make her an apt.  Sounds like girls are starting earlier...uggg!!

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2011 at 12:16 AM
She's not too young. But there is a stomach bug going around too. We all had it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ravenwulf
by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I was barely 9 when I got mine, so the short answer is "No" (she's not too young".  If she has eaten recently (within the last 6 hours or so), doesn't have to poop, and didn't do something silly like trying to do 300 cruches in one set, try her on some Tylenol/Pa,prin/Midol etc and see if it helps.

Oh yeah, first get her to describe the pain and it's location.  Anyting on the right side, especially if she has been feeling "fluish" needs to get cleared by a doc for possible appendicitis or gall bladder.

Best of luck!!

RicanGeisha
by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:42 AM
I got mine at 8 so she isn't too young. If the pain just doesn't go away, I would take her to the doctor just to make sure it isn't something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM

It is very possible that she is about to start her period. It is happening at much younger ages now. It might be time to talk to her about the changes her body will be going through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN