Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homework!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:38 AM
  • 20 Replies
We put my oldest in a new school this year. I felt like he wasn't getting what he needed from homeschooling because I've got a 9 month old and a 4 year old to try and keep up with too. So this is his second week of school, and he had two hours worth of homework last night and tonight! It's rediculous! He's 12! And honestly, it would have taken him 4 hours if I hadn't helped him. I actually did some of it for him. I know. That's terrible. In my defense, we studied it last year and he knows it well. It was just time consuming. Is it normal to have this much homework? When I registered him they said he would have no more than 45 minutes worth each night. This is really upsetting me! He has no time to play at all. I'm starting to regret sending him there. It's a good school, but wow. Do your tweens have this much homework?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM

My Lexi is starting 8th grade this year...Last year she had about 15-30 mins homework for each academic class. So...GATE English/History, Accelerated Math, Science; about 2 hours or so total. Plus she was always practicing something from Show Choir.

KTMOM
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:33 AM

If this continues night after night and he is continually struggling to complete homework in an hour or less,  I would definitely speak to the teacher about it!

Zamaria
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:51 AM
Thanks! He didn't get to bed until 10:00 last night! Grrrrr!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Quoting KTMOM:

If this continues night after night and he is continually struggling to complete homework in an hour or less,  I would definitely speak to the teacher about it!

momto3infl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM

yes and more at times.

steelcrazy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM

My oldest son (5th grade) usually has 1-2 hours a night of homework.  I would consider asking his teacher if the homework should be taking that long to complete, because there maybe a problem somewhere.

Zamaria
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM
I did call this morning. She says he does really well in class and that it may just be because the curriculum is set up so differently. We will give it a couple of weeks and see how it's going then. I really hate homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I know the feeling. I too feel as though kids need time to be kids. I hope this straightens out for you and your ds , soon.

shell81
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I know what you mean. Last week my son did hw from 5 to 10:45pm, and they say it won't take more than 30 mins LOL not for a kid that has adhd and mood disorder. HUGS I hope it gets better.

fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM

My kids haven't started this year yet. But my 16 year old brother had 4 hours of homework the first day and second day :O( he is already ready tobe done and it is day 3! They had a test today.lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)