Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I HATE our school districts transportation office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM
  • 15 Replies

It seems every year we have problems with the stupid bus!  Last year we had issues with the bus showing up 20 minutes BEFORE its scheduled time and then in the afternoon towards the end of the year the bus driver would decide to change the route and instead of dropping DSD off at our house at 4:30 she might get dropped off at 3:15.

Today was the first day of school and DSD was out at the her bus stop (the end of our driveway) at 6:05 (bus stop time was 6:18 - but she went out early because we never know what will happen especially the first day!).  At 6:25 a bus drives by and DSD yells back to me that it was her bus! So, I get on the phone to call the transportation office (great start to the new school year!).  I get through and tell the lady what is happening.  She asks what road we are on and I tell her that and the bus number.  She puts me on hold.  A few minutes go by and she gets back on the phone and asks me who I am and what the issue is and I explain to her again, again get put on hold.  Another 5 minutes goes by and she gets back on the phone and again asks what I am on hold for.  I tell her again and she asks me what grade my DSD is in (so she can figure out what school she is supposed to go to) and I tell her.  She ONCE AGAIN puts me on hold.  This time she doesn't come back on and I am left on hold for more than 25 MINUTES! I try calling with another phone and no one is answering.  At this point I have no idea whether someone is coming back to pick up my DSD or not! My car isn't working and so I have NO WAY of getting DSD to school! So I call my mom and ask if I can take her to work so I can then drive DSD to school.  At this point it is 7am and DSD needs to be at school by 7:40 and it is a 30 minute drive to where my mom works and a 30 minute drive back to the school.  I call the school to let them know DSD might be late and explain what happened so that she would't be considered tardy.  But I was upset because this is her first year with 4 teachers and she is getting a locker this morning and needed the time to get adjusted on the first day. 

I managed to get my mom to work AND DSD to school by 7:50 (and there were people behind us dropping kids off too!).  I waited a bit and called the transportation office again.  I explained (to a different person) what happened and told them I didn't have an issue with the bus missing her this morning but leaving me on hold for 35 minutes and never coming back to the phone to let me know whether my kid was even GOING to be picked up by a bus was UNACCPTABLE! THAT was what I was irate about.  The lady I spoke with understood what I was saying and asked if I had been able to get DSD to school and I said yes, luckily (but I had to grab DD who was still sleeping and get her into the car as well - her schedule is now totally off because she wasn't able to go back to sleep). 

I just get the feeling that this is going to be a LONG school year dealing with the bus again. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armymomof2brats
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM

What an awful way to start off the school year. I hope it won't be bad, but atleast you got her to school.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

It's usual to have hiccups during the first week or school. Hopefully this is not a year long issue.

hriabywx4
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM
Wow! And I thought I had it bad...all I got was a snotty attitude when I called to verify bus #, time of pick up and make sure the bus stop hadn't changed. So sorry you had to deal with all that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellasmom32510
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

It's usual to have hiccups during the first week or school. Hopefully this is not a year long issue.

I totally understand that BUT to leave me on hold for more than 35 minutes and never pick the phone back up and tell someone what is going on is completely unacceptable! Aside from not being curteous it is ridiculous when I am trying to figure outhow to get my kid to school! It was THAT part that really bothered me the most! How do you do that? Just not get back on the phone to tell someone how the problem was going to be fixed?  I felt like she just walked away from the phone and the problem to let me figure out how to get her to school.

itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Quoting armymomof2brats:

What an awful way to start off the school year. I hope it won't be bad, but atleast you got her to school.

momto3infl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM

First day of school many bugs being worked out still-it happens.  I have heard it from our school and parents going to the office and complain there.

bellasmom32510
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM

As I said, it isn't the bugs it is common sense, common courtesy, and appropriate way to handle a situation to not leave someone on hold for 25 minutes and never pick the phone back up! I didn't have an issue with the bus missing the stop - it happens every year it is the way it was handled AFTER. 

KTMOM
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, that is totally unacceptable. I am so sorry you have to deal wiht that and I hope you can get it figured out!!

momto3infl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I understand that-but in defense to the bus trans-if like our area we have handleful of people answering hundreds of calls at once an I know we have had people complain on this exact same thing of being left on line or dropped calls etc.  It is all part of the bugs esp for our district and county-since one whole bussing unit for a whole county. 

Quoting bellasmom32510:

As I said, it isn't the bugs it is common sense, common courtesy, and appropriate way to handle a situation to not leave someone on hold for 25 minutes and never pick the phone back up! I didn't have an issue with the bus missing the stop - it happens every year it is the way it was handled AFTER. 

steelcrazy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I would file a complaint with the school.  I would be pissed off too about being left on hold for so long, even if you are busy you should handle a call in a timely manner, not ignore them completely.

Luckily our school district owns their own buses, so we don't have to deal with a shitty transportation company.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)