Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm flying!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM
  • 7 Replies

Okay, not really but.........today is National Aviation Day.

So tell us about your flying experiences? Do you have a lot of air time? What's your horror story? What's your funny story?

National Aviation Day

When : Always August 19th

National Aviation Day is in honor of the birthday of aviator Orville Wright.

The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were pioneer aviators in the United States. Orville was the first person to successfully fly an airplane. His first flight was December 17, 1903 at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. This inaugural flight was soon to change the skies forever.

It's heavier than air, and it flies! National Aviation Day honors the accomplishments of Orville and Wilbur Wright. It is sometimes called Wright Brother's Day. To a lesser degree, National Aviation Day sometimes honors other early aviation and space pioneers. This day was selected, as it is Orville Wrights's birthday. (August 19, 1871)

Origin of National Aviation Day:

This special day was created by a presidential proclamation by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KTMOM
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM

I have flown many times. Thankfully so far, nothing too scary or crazy has happened, other than turbulence.   I am not a big fan of flying, to be honest, but I manage just fine.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM

UGH! I remeber all to well the first time I flew. Thank god for the stewardess. She was an angel and literally helped me the whole flight. I flew for the first time in 2001. Til this day I am a nervous flier.

steelcrazy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I've racked up the miles over the years.  I haven't flown much recently though.  My sister worked for an airline, so we flew just about everywhere.  We'd fly into Minneapolis for the day to shop at MOA.  Our luggage would arrive empty and depart loaded down with purchases.  We flew FL once for a weekend on a wim, just because we were tired of the winter.  We had a cousin who was dying and lived in the Eastern part of PA, we'd fly in to spend the day with her once a week.  If it wasn't free, we surely wouldn't have flown like we did.  I sorta miss it.  My children have never flown.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I've been going on planes since I was 9, so more yrs than I'd like to count! The only "horror" story was dh's and my 1st trip to Hawai'i. Our 1st part of the flight was 2 hrs late b/c the plane didn't show up, which made us miss our connection. The airline said, "Oh, you can get on this other flight w/ this other airline." Got to that gate, and was told, "Um, no." Had to wait forever for a flight we could get on. Finally made it to Hawai'i, and found out our luggage hadn't made it. Normally, that would not have panicked us, but we were there for my bil's retirement from the Air Force and kinda needed the dress clothes in our luggage the next day. Luckily, our luggage showed up the next day, and in time for us to get it and change before the ceremony.

auroragold
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Frequent flier here. Or used to be for my job.  For years I would board a plane on Monday to go to a job and then board a plane on Thursday to come back home. Every week....for years.

Of course I was single and had no kids so....

Thank goodness no significant horror stories - standard loss of luggage, overbooked flights, etc.

The only "related" horror story came from a quick flight to NYC.  Baggage didn't arrive with me.... sigh.

I check into my hotel and an hour later, my limo driver (car service) calls the room to say he has my bags. GREAT SERVICE thinks I. 

He offers to bring it to my room. Nah.....I'm a savvy traveler so I go down to the lobby to get the luggage.

And there he stands, with my bag,  a dozen red roses and a bottle of champagne.  Yep, he wants to have dinner with me.....

Can you imagine?!?

itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I have not ever flown and don't ever plan on it.

fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I love flying :O) haven't done it in about a year though :O(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)