Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am i the only one???

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM
  • 29 Replies
Am I the only one who feels that kids don't need cell phones? My neice has one (10) other family and friends kids have one ages ranging from 9-12. Why? What happened to calling a friend and having a playdate and talking face to face, why does texting have to be a nessessity? we r teaching our kids that they have to be forever reachable and glued to their phones. They will have plenty of time when they get older but why this young?. I can see a track phone taken with on an outting to call for a ride or such but I just don't get it? Am I the only one who feels this way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Nope my kids don't and won't have one for quite a while :O) age is not yet decided but the will be over 13 and likely in highschool at least.

itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I think it depends on each family. I was going to get my 10 year old a cell since she wouldn't leave mine alone, but she lost that privilege.

blooize376
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Yay I feel the same, the kids joke that I'm a meanie, they have dsi's but only educational games and the time is monitored greatly, I just feel bad for this generation that they don't know how to use their imaginations to entertain themselves. Glad I'm not the only one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Trust me I'm the mean mommy around here :O) my kids also go to bed at 7 lmao. But really they don't know what they don't have. Just like kids being in a booster seat forever. :O)

TwinSoccerMom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM

You're not alone. My 12-year-old twins don't have cell phones despite "all their friends" having one.  I feel pretty much the same way you do.  We have a tracphone they can use for those rare times when they may be without adults or friends with cell phones like when they go for a long bike ride or a run or something like that.  They are not allowed to give their number to anyone.  It is just for emergencies or for us to get in touch with them if needed.

auroragold
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

no cell phone in this house.

Heck, I just got one for ME this year

bigblueeyes
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM

i think if they had to walk home from school or if they were on an outing without you then they could take one along for that but otherwise i think they don't need one until they are like 12 or 13 maaaaaaaybe!.....lol....probably closer to a couple years older than that even

Mom2CKC
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM

My 9 year old asked me when she can get one I said never lol. Told her when she is older and has a job and can afford the phone and monthly bills. Meaning no we are not going to buy it. She had a few girls in her class last year that had them. At the time they were 8 years old. 

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Lexi is almost 12 and going into 8th grade...She's had one since she was 9 and starting middle school. Her school only has a payphone, which you can't call a cellphone from. So it's useless for her to try and get ahold of me with it. And the office people are usually dicks about letting a kid call home. So even though cells are discouraged at her school, we got her one so she can call us anytime she needs us. And also so we can reach her in an emergency. She knows to keep it on vibrate and in her bag. It is also especially helpful because she does cheer after school, and sometimes they run late/get out early. Although she walks home--our backyard gate opens to the middle school field--I like to know what's going on.

The younger ones will get cell phones in middle school, if I feel they are old enough for the responsibility. 

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999
Leslie Kirsten 03-14-2004
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 
Due Date 04-15-2012

Wyldbutterfly
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:28 AM

No, I'm you are not the only one to feel this way. Both of my children have cell phones. Personally, I feel better knowing they have them.

I'm out in the burbs where there are no pay phones and parents seem to not have land lines. Not only that, parents seem to let thier kids wander without regard to who,where,what,when and why.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)