• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get your kids involved?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM
  • 15 Replies

How do you encourage your kids to participate in extracurriculars? Are they required or voluntary? How about the community?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
magsrobsmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:01 AM

My DD (12) is involved in choir and theater; neither which is available through our school system so we've been doing extracurriculars for a long time. Most sports are outside of school as well so my DS (7) does soccer through a local kid's sports league. Both of these are voluntary. I would like my DD to do something athletic outside of school as she doesn't have PE this semester (PE hours cut due to district budget), but she's fighting me on that. LOL!

telecomgirl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Never required, although if my son asks to do something, we do have him at least finish out the season.

jhelmke
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:06 AM

My does does it voluntary for community. It is something that we do as family.   He does extracurricular stuff based on things he likes.

texasmom1800
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Our rule is he has to participate in one activity during the school year.

auroragold
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:09 AM

We have actively volunteered our time since DD was a baby  - so it's part of her (our) regular routine.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:28 AM

My DD does a lot of extra curricular activities through school and she joins them all on her own. She also wants to do ride for Roswell in October. How can I tell her no? I can't, it's for such a good cause.

itsallabtthem84
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM
If they do get involved it's all up to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Here, it's more an issues of cutting back as opposed to encouraging to. Currently, my son is active in sports and scouts which is enough.

fineyouguyswin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

They are voluntary if they want to then they ask :O)

1Redapple
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I talk to my dd, she has tried some and deciced to not continue, but one that she didn't like a few years ago, now she wants to try again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)