• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Faking sick.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:27 AM
  • 34 Replies

My 9 yo is a great student.. she always gets great report cards. She likes school for the social aspect of it, but she gets bored easily. In the mornings she tries to pretend that her belly hurts, or that she has a headache. Yesterday she asked if she could stay home simply because she didnt want to get out of bed. This is going to be one heck of a long year if she does this everyday. Shes only in 4th grade, so we have years and years of this left.

Any ideas on  how I can get her to stop the shannanigans, LOL ?

JOIN US ON:

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyldbutterfly
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Oh this is a tough one! Is it only because she's bored or do you think there is something more to it?

Zamaria
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:38 AM
I actually let my son have two days a year off just because. He can take one each semester. But he has to keep his grades up and not have too many sick days. He likes school this year, but we have had years where he hated it. I just made him get up and go. Can't make them like it! But if she gives you too much trouble you could ground her for being difficult. Good luck! Maybe she will change her mind soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinRox
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Im pretty sure there isnt more to it. Brianna is the type of kid that wears all of her emotion on her sleeve. She is the first to tell you if she had a bad day, or someone bugged her, or she doesnt like something. Shes not depressed about it, she just seems as though shes bored. Kind of like she is going to melt if she has to listen to one more math class or whatever. lol.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Oh this is a tough one! Is it only because she's bored or do you think there is something more to it?

JOIN US ON:

jridgill
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM
My daughter has tried that. I tell her if she is sick she has to stay in her bed with no tv or accessories all day. Usually she gets up :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:17 AM
I always tell my kids if they are truly sick then the school can send them home. Now I only say this if I think they may be faking or they are not running a fever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Honestly, just don't give into it. 

My daughter used to pull the same stunts when she went to public school back home. It was a different story every day. Unless I knew she was sick (running a fever or ill the night before) I would make her go to school. I told her if she was really sick, the school would send her home. 

fineyouguyswin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM

When she does that tell her ok I'll contact the school and get your work so you don't fall behind.lol

Kaci
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM

No tv's , pc's , nothing! She has to stay in bed. If she starts feeling better she can still stay in bed with her school books!

Barabell
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

First, I would not give into it. I would let the child know that I'm onto her faking and would start punishing her for it.

Second, I would talk to the teacher about my child's boredom. I would want a learning environment where she is more stimulated.

KTMOM
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I just take a matter-of-fact approach with my son regarding playing sick and really being sick.  It boils down to honesty and crying wolf, which I don't have any tolerance for. My son knows that if he play sick enough I will never know if he is really sick and that is equivalent to lying to me, so it does not set well.  I tell him in order to have trust, we must be honest, and lying about feeling sick is shaky ground.  If he ever is home sick, he knows he has to stay in bed ALL day, no playing or anything,  so that helps him be motivated to get his fanny out the door to school when he knows he is not really feeling THAT bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)