• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you deal with home work?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM
  • 29 Replies

Yesterday and today my DD brought home math home work and have no clue how to help her since I have no math book to see how to figure it out. she had to copy it from the board on paper. 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fiddymommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I would contact her teacher and ask her if she could send home examples for you or if you can come in early or afterschool, so she can explain it to both you at the same time. I use to have to have my daughters teacher do that last year because some of the techniques they teach now is much much different than when we learned.......

KTMOM
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

My son has online textbook and tutorials he can use.

fineyouguyswin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Google luckily math is my subject lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I don't for now, thank goodness because honestly I don't remember half of what I learned in school.

cleanmoss
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM

thats my problem I am good with most subjects but math not! I can do the easy stuff but after division  or fractions I am lost, I know I am not that old turning 37 in October but all this new crap the kids learn I am clueless. I hate feeling like I am no help for my DD and I should know this stuff but I dont and then DH has no clue either. 

Zamaria
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM
I hate math. I'd call the teacher and ask for examples, and have your DD bring her math book home even if the problems are copied off the board. Then at least you'll have an explanation of how to work the problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM

We just had back to school night.  The teacher has a website and she keeps just about everything on there.

cleanmoss
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I think I am going to type up a note so DD can hand it  to her math teacher tomorrow....

jdrabbit01
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I actually love math.  It was always my favorite subject.  But when my son askes for help, I'm always "doing it wrong!!!"  His teacher does it a different way so definitely ask the teacher to send some examples.  Even if she copies a page or two of the textbook,it's helpful. 

mhmomma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM

YES!!!  Last year my daughter was in 2nd grade.  She was doing a math problem and had a question.  I went to help her and she got so made at me.  I was doing it all wrong.  I mentioned it to her teacher at conferences and she said they learn math totally different then we learned it.  They have a whole new way of teaching it.  Why oh why:(

Quoting jdrabbit01:

I actually love math.  It was always my favorite subject.  But when my son askes for help, I'm always "doing it wrong!!!"  His teacher does it a different way so definitely ask the teacher to send some examples.  Even if she copies a page or two of the textbook,it's helpful. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)