Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No clue what he wants

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:07 AM
  • 11 Replies
Last year we agreed to get my then 11 year old son a computer - mostly used for schoolwork since he was always using mine. We searched online & he chose a netbook which was a HUGE disappointment...super slow, no CD drive (totally didn't notice that when we ordered it), & he rarely - if ever - uses it.

So I want to (A) sell the netbook (where??) and (B) get him some awesome tech gift this year to kind of "make up for" the dud netbook.

I've asked him but he won't say anything - doesn't want anything special (he *says*) this year.

So, I'm looking for tech ideas that a 12 yo boy would love...

I was thinking tablet, but DH says he's not getting one before we do, lol, so that's out.

Ideas??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Try selling the netbook on eBay or craigslist, maybe put an ad in the paper. If that doesn't work either take it to the pawn shop and sell it or donate it to a homeless shelter. As for a new gift idea, maybe an iPod touch if he doesn't have one, a laptop or a new netbook? My son has an acer netbook and it's pretty awesome. And it does have a cd drive. Maybe just look around for a better brand, and get one with a warranty so if you do have trouble with it you can get it fixed or replaced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:42 AM
I agree with Zamaria. Look into a different brand of netbooks. dd1 (10) has an HP one and it has been wonderful! Do get the warrenty as well. It is worth the extra money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
I agree with Zamaria. Look into a different brand of netbooks. dd1 (10) has an HP one and it has been wonderful! Do get the warrenty as well. It is worth the extra money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Here's a bump, I answered this in the other group.=)

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I do remember that awhile back he was really interested in geocaching - and I just found the Geomate Junior - think that might be cool?  Are there cooler geocache products out there?

SuperLooneyMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM
Can't help since my boys aren't techno for anything but nintendo ds. So here's another bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Appreciate the bumps :)

Devtanbay3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM
I'd go with a laptop. I have found Toshiba to be the best brand I have owned. My DD uses my Mac everyday so can you pick one up for her too so I can have mine back :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I'd go with a laptop. Consider selling the netbook on Craigslist.

Target has a decent one on sale for $200 this week.

On the front page of our local Target ad:

$197 Store Price

Acer notebook*

$197 Sale

our lowest price ever, save $102, Reg. 299.99. With 11.6" HD LED display, 320GB hard drive, AMD dual-core processor, Windows 7 Home Premium and 6-cell batttery. No. A0722-0473.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)