Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think your tween gets overwhelmed...

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM
  • 19 Replies

with homework?

If so, how do you help them deal?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owensmom34
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Yes, with all the demands of school and homework sometimes and the idea of achieving perfect scores.  My middle child is a worry wart like I was at that age.  I try to get him not to worry but it's hard.  He's a very focused kid.

shelleyragsdale
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:32 AM

My daughter used to be a total freak about the stacks of homework she recieves. We would spend hours trying to get it all done.  She now uses a planner, I bought her a desk, and she now can FOCUS which was her problem anyway.She is so much calmer and it is rare that she asks for help now.  Before I would get as frustrated as her with all the little questions because she could not concentrate with her broether in the room and sitting at the counter. 

Wyldbutterfly
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:54 AM

My DD does. I just tell her to take a deep breath and relax. I find when she gets overwhelmed like that she needs to take that breath relax and then move on. Other than that her thoughts are all over the place and nothing gets done.

(INSERT SNOWMOBILING SWEETPEA HERE)
owensmom34
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't remember us getting this much homework when we were younger.

kmrtigger
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I let them walk away and do something else for a few minutes. This usually helps them calm down and refocus once they return.

psych_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM

No, mine don't get tons of homework most nights. Some nights they may get a little more, but the teachers try to make sure that it isn't overwhelming.

styler7
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM
My daughter does. She gets a lot and has trouble focusing long enough to get it all done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Currently, no. But it's his last year of elementary.

Next year, he's signing up for a more academically advanced program, and so I think this is his last easy homework year for quite a while.

summerbear
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Not yet. She is in 4th grade advanced academic classes but her teacher doesn't give out an insane amount of homework. When I see she needs a break I let her stop to go ride her bike or take her sister to the park.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Not yet. She is in 4th grade advanced academic classes but her teacher doesn't give out an insane amount of homework. When I see she needs a break I let her stop to go ride her bike or take her sister to the park.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)