Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

9 years old

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

my daughter is 9 and she is so smart but a couple times since school has started she hasnt turned her homework in twice and the teacher called and they where both very important assignments and i think the reason is because we moved and the only kids around live in the house in front of us and all the want to do is play. the parents of thosse kids dont pay any attention to them they do whatever whenever they want and i set boundaries for my kids and i think that sice they would just come over uninvited she just wanted to play and so she stopped bringing her homework home and stopped writting it down in her assesment log... i had a talk with the mom nextdoor and she did what we had talked about for like 3 days and that was it..so the punishment i gave my daughter was dishes no going outside if the other kids where out, if there really is no homework to be done then she can read for 30 minutes to an hour...and also when i talked to the mom nextdoor she basically was trying to tell me how to raise my kids and ive bben a mom longer than her and i actually pay attenition to my kids its just so confusing...ive never had to worry about her shes always done her home work and she loves school and says nothing is wrong...

so does any one have any advice or a guess on what is happening in the mind of my 9 year old?

school bus

by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Barabell
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My son did that at age 10. He just wanted to play and do other things instead of homework, and once we found out that he wasn't turning in his math, we made him do it before being allowed to do anything else.

I think it's pretty normal at this age to test boundaries and not fully understand prioritizing. It doesn't mean she dislikes school.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM

My rule in our house is homework first. Anything and everything else comes after!

(INSERT SNOWMOBILING SWEETPEA HERE)
momof3914
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM
I agree my son is ten and does that now. He has always been a good kid but he is now testing his limits. I believe its just an age thing.

Quoting Barabell:

My son did that at age 10. He just wanted to play and do other things instead of homework, and once we found out that he wasn't turning in his math, we made him do it before being allowed to do anything else.

I think it's pretty normal at this age to test boundaries and not fully understand prioritizing. It doesn't mean she dislikes school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I think all kids go through that phase mine will do it at home and still forget to hand it in.

Hottmomma607
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM

My 4th grader his problem is talking! My 13yoDD had that problem too!

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

My rule in our house is homework first. Anything and everything else comes after!

Our house too!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112285

"Why does a woman work ten years to change a man`s habits and then complain that he`s not the man she married?"

Barbara Streisand

kmrtigger
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I agree that this is just the stage of her life where she is testing her boundaries. I would jut have a talk with her about how important it is to do our homework and to be honest. Let her know if she completes all her work in a timely manner then she will have more time to play with friends. But if she isn't doing work, she losses the good grades, time with friends and other privileges around the house. So it the end it isn;t worth not doing the work. Explain that school is her job and she is expected to do the work. Just like who ever goes to work to pay the bills is expected to go to work to get paid.

itsallabtthem84
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:38 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN