Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Ask the Expert: How to Navigate the Tween Years

Posted by   + Show Post

Has your sweet child turned moody and defiant almost overnight?  Wondering what's going on - and more importantly, how to handle it?

We've got help!

Julie Ross, M.A., Executive Director of Parenting Horizons and author of How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years will be here all next week to answer YOUR questions about tween behavior, and how to cope!

Ask Julie your questions today and you could win a copy of her book!  2 moms will win.

Thank you for joining us, Julie!

The Official Rules
To enter the this contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

• Posts must be made between Thursday, January 5 at 1 pm EST and Sunday, January 15 at 11:59 pm EST.  
  • This contest will end on Sunday, January 15 at 11:59 pm EST. 
  • Two winners will be selected randomly.
  • The winners will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase  your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Two winners will receive a copy of "How to Hug a Porcupine"  
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
luvmygrlz
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM

How much privacy should I give my tween girls once those "boy" years approach.  Is thier room fair game or do I need to respect their privacy?  Is there a happy medium? 

othermom
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

How do I help my overly emotionaly 8 year old handle situations with out getting upset

Lynersify
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM

My 11 year-old son suddenly thinks he does not have to do anything I ask him to do unless I've asked him 10+ times and finally resolve to raising my voice and (usually) taking away privileges if the request is not met by him in a timely fashion. How do I avoid it escalating to this level and get more immediate results?

jat08167
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM

How should I deal with the constant attitude from my 10 year old?

candimalice
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I have an almost 12 year old son, things have been messed up for my family, his dad was away at prison for a year and I was as well, now even though I've been home for over a year, things are not easy, I left their father since his actions landed me in prison, and now he is out as well. Since then I get a lot of attitude from him, I don't think he is mad I think he is hurt and that it has to do with his age as well. We use to be so close, we still are its just not the same and I worry about him. What is the best way for me to handle this?? Also I'm expecting a third child that will only be his half sibling. That I think hurts him too! Even though he won't say so.. he loves my so and they are close, but I see things getting worse not better due to the age he is at! Sorry this is so long.......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom14043
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

If my daughter wants to wear a training bra but she really does not need it and lacks any size at all for it but insists her friends are all talking about theirs, how can I make her not feel left out of the conversation or make her more comfortable in this situation. Also how can I effectively navigate bullying amongst girls.

furryg
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

My sweet 11 year old is trying my sanity. She has been talking back, sarcastic, arguing, negotiating, etc. I know that part of it is the "tween" syndrome, but the other part is the recent divorce that I and her father got 6 months ago. She has some anger towards me for it, naturally. She lives with me and has visitation with her dad frequently. The divorce was as amicable as any could be. So my question is, how do I stop this behavior without alienating her towards me considering what she is going through while not letting her run all over me and turning into a rebellious teenager?

iamfreeatlast
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM
My daughter (11) is as I put it possessed by the devil. She can be laughing one minute and throwing daggers with her eyes the next. You say anything to her she starts crying. Her brother (17) are fighting all the time. Every time I try to ask her what is going on she shruggs her shoulders and cries more. How do you communicate with someone that won't talk back or let you in. I know everything is changing within her and she does not understand most of her feelings but how do I get her to talk about them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM
How do I get my older tween (boy) who is 11 be more responsible....it's very clear that his 8 year old sister is much more responsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM
What is the best thing to do with a tween to maybe ward off bad behavior before it happens..... Like what can I do now I'm the years before my child becomes a tween
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)