Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ask the Expert: How to Navigate the Tween Years

Posted by   + Show Post

Has your sweet child turned moody and defiant almost overnight?  Wondering what's going on - and more importantly, how to handle it?

We've got help!

Julie Ross, M.A., Executive Director of Parenting Horizons and author of How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years will be here all next week to answer YOUR questions about tween behavior, and how to cope!

Ask Julie your questions today and you could win a copy of her book!  2 moms will win.

Thank you for joining us, Julie!

The Official Rules
To enter the this contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

• Posts must be made between Thursday, January 5 at 1 pm EST and Sunday, January 15 at 11:59 pm EST.  
  • This contest will end on Sunday, January 15 at 11:59 pm EST. 
  • Two winners will be selected randomly.
  • The winners will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase  your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Two winners will receive a copy of "How to Hug a Porcupine"  
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Replies (191-198):
Stepmamma4
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

My question...how to do manage a tween attitude (girl) that flares up because she goes back and forth from BM's house to our house.  No rules at BM house and she just gets nasty when at our house.  When things don't go her way, she flees back to the nest and then BM tries to keep her from being at our house...it's out of control!

foxymomof4
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM

My son is 12 and is having a really hard time in school.He goes to a private catholic school and seems to be having a hard time taking responsobility and telling the whole truth, he's very smart but I have trouble making him stay up to date with homework and school projects.How do I help him get thru this hard time he's a very nice boy does not talk back or be rude and we do not have any video games of any sort.Please help me!

crysta82
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM

How do I cope with a defiant tween?

Heidi_Appel
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM

How do I teach my tween to be responsible and independent when if comes to responsibility but still be respectful of authority?

Heidi_Appel
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I have an almost 11 year old son.  He completed the D.A.R.E. program at school last year and was the spokes person for his class.  As a mom, I was beaming with pride.  Then came the difficult questions... 

His father and I are no longer together and I am happily married to another man.  We live a life of the straight and narrow.  My ex, on the other hand, is a pot smoker.  My son is having a lot of confusion about this.  We have taught him to respect his elders, even his father.  That being said, he knows his behavior is wrong.  What advise could you give me about the subject of drugs in this particular case?

Honey50530
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My son i eleven years old he will be twelve in September lately he's been real defiant and moddy he yells cusses and trys to hit i'm so out of options with him i need to know what to do. As a parent i tried everything i know to try. Please Help  

LuuvinLife
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Thank you Julie!

dani1234
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I would love to know the answer to this too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)