Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Ask the Expert: How to Navigate the Tween Years

Posted by   + Show Post

Has your sweet child turned moody and defiant almost overnight?  Wondering what's going on - and more importantly, how to handle it?

We've got help!

Julie Ross, M.A., Executive Director of Parenting Horizons and author of How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years will be here all next week to answer YOUR questions about tween behavior, and how to cope!

Ask Julie your questions today and you could win a copy of her book!  2 moms will win.

Thank you for joining us, Julie!

The Official Rules
To enter the this contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

• Posts must be made between Thursday, January 5 at 1 pm EST and Sunday, January 15 at 11:59 pm EST.  
  • This contest will end on Sunday, January 15 at 11:59 pm EST. 
  • Two winners will be selected randomly.
  • The winners will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase  your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Two winners will receive a copy of "How to Hug a Porcupine"  
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
Soccermom9810
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

My 10yo. has decided that stealing is a good way to get what he wants! So far he has only stole from family(as far as I know anyway), but I need to know what to do to nip this thing in the bud. Thanks!

JCTVCBN
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Hi Julie,

thanks for answering our questions.

What can I do so that my son will open up more?

JCTVCBN
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

What are some forms of punishments that you think are appropriate for a 12 year old for when

he lies?

fights with his younger brother?

doesn't do what he's told?

mawmom
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

How do I get him to stop trying to bully me when he doesn't get his way?

only1person2day
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

How to bond with twin teens (step Kids) When they hate me.  They won't take the time to get to know me cause their mom trashes me and their father.  

mamivon2
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

My daughter will be 9 (march 4) and takes KEPPRA. (meds for seizure) one of the side effects is moodyness.. and yes she is like clock work around 3;30pm she starts having a fit.. and I mean she lays on the floor like a 2y old..sometims she slams her door and yells anything from I hate you to leave me alone.. I hate my life... any advice.. I know part is the meds but still... She is suppose to get off the meds around april...

mereinhart28
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Some days I don't know what gets into my daughter....she can be so moody! how do I deal with her mood swings, and help her find ways to deal with her emotions?

young_lv_mom
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM

My dd is only 8 years old, but she seems to be acting like a teenager, She is great with her brother, always willing to help him out. She is even great about doing all her school work with out talking back. Then when it comes to me she fights me on every thing, sneaks sweets (never even asking in the first place, just takes them), lies to our faces even with us holding proof. She cries over every thing it seems. What can I do to help get her more like my little girl that she use to be?

jamiehenry
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

What is the best way to deal with the "i forgot to bring my book/homework home" or the "I didn't hear my teacher tell us that" Im really worried about her bad study habits getting her further and further behind

christiangirl02
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM

why is it when girls start high school the start to change for the worst after a few months?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)