• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Menstrual cycle question.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello everyone, I have an 11 year old daughter. She had her menarche on November 29, 2011. On January 5, 2012 she had a doctor's appt for something and I mentioned that I know that it will take some time for her cycles to become regular but is this to long between them. The doctor confirmed my hunch and said to wait awhile, her cycles will be irregular in time length for a while. Today is January 15, 2012 and her cycle still has not come. Is this anything you all have experienced before? Thanks.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KTMOM
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that is pretty normal for young girls.

Sunshine2plus2
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I think its normal I would just wait it out.

itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine has yet to start hers, thank goodness. When I started mine it was full force cycle so I don't know what is "normal" and what is not.

kmrtigger
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this would be a question you would need to ask the doctor in regards to whether or not it is normal.

Has she been tested for a thyroid disorder? When I was younger having my cycle skip a few months was a key to be tested by my doctor.  Maybe ask her doctor to run a simple blood test to check her thyroid condition.

Alustriel
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was younger I could go 3 months and not have mine. It took awhile for mine to become regular. Sometimes it would be on time, sometimes there would be 2 or 3 months in between . I think if I remember correctly , I was like that til I was put of BC which was like 3 years later. I became regular after that and then when I went off of it I remained regular. My body was just weird......lol.
As another has said though just continue to keep the doctor in the loop because there are certain medical reasons that can cause this to happen but then again she could just be like I was and nothing be wrong at all. Everyone is different I wouldn't worry til I have too.
wish4-2more
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Everyone, thanks a lot for your advice and support. I will continue to keep an eye on the situation.
psych_mom
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Definitely watch it closely. I would go ahead and ask the doctor to test her thyroid and things like that. My dr suspects that I had a thyroid condition from the time I hit puberty and although it didn't cause me to have irregular cycles it caused me to have very heavy periods with very painful cramping.

auroragold
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I think it could take a good YEAR before it settles down to "regular" for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)