Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating us out of house and home...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have two step sons, 11 and 14 and they are eating us out of house and home. We can not keep enough food in the fridge. I just made a large meal, turkey burgers with cheese and buns, a big garden salad, a large bowl of pasta noodles, a bowl of peaches. They ate all of that just ten minutes ago and want more food. We offer seconds at meals. They are also eating 8-10 snacks a day. They are both active and thin but I feel they are eating too much. Is this just part of growing? Or is it reasonable to limit the amount of snacks they are eating?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
styler7
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Oh my goodness, my 12 and 13yr olds are this way also! Bottomless pits!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
We limit snacks. One "fun" snack in the am and one in the pm..... But popcorn (we buy big bags of kernels cheap and use an air popper) and fruit/veggies are unlimited.
Make restrictions.
We also Monitor the kids liquid intake.... A lot of people (adults included) mistake hunger for thirst(especially when they are partially dehydrated)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariC67
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM

I've raised 4 boys, the oldest is 24 the youngest is 12 and yes they will eat you out of house and home, this a normal part of growing up. I still would restrict the number of snacks they have...my boys ate breakfast at home before school then sometimes theywould eat breakfast AT school, lunch at school, a good snack afterschool, supper, then an evening snack. I also kept a bowl of fruit on the table and a container of cut up veggies in the fridge, these they could have whenever they wanted without asking, sugary or salty snack were off limits mostly. I always made the kids drink water instead of soda or koolaide (that they could have with dinner). I think its more important to pay attention to what they are eating rather than the number.

MariC67

Proud owner of The CM P.I.T. group, come join us!

psych_mom
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM
My 11yo is the same way. We can't afford for him to eat continuously. I do try to make a lot of meals that go a long way such as soups, chili and casseroles, but even after 2nds and 3rds he wants something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhelmke
by Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM

It is normal.   My son does the same thing and he is a bean pole.  He will eat 4 times the amount a normal person eats after a game.

kmrtigger
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM

YIKES! I am now fearful for my kitchen. I am a mom of all boys.

I guess I need to think about maybe having some sort of restriction in place but not limit all the healthy stuff for the future.

Love the suggestions the other ladies posted.

NiCo86
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

My husband and I have this battle because my step son is 10 and is technically in the "average low" for his BMI (which I think it ridiculous anwyays) but this kid has breakfast (over flowing bowl of cereal), a snack at school, lunch (school lunch), and then he gets home and has a snack (a sandwich, normally, or a thing of top ramen) and then 2 hours later we have dinner where he proceeds to eat a plate filled with just as much food as his 230 pound 6'2" father, and then 5 minutes after dinner he wants dessert :-O We tell him no, that he can wait until his food settles in his stomache first, and then I catch him in the kitchen cramming as much food as possible in to his mouth as he's clearing the dinner table (I attribute this to his birth mother starving the children until we gained custody of him a few years back). His father just keeps telling me "he's a growing boy! look at him, it's not like he's fat" but the only thing that keeps running through my mind is that these are unhealthy eating habits that he is instilling in himself, and I am concerned (because regardless of how lean he is, he truly isn't an "active" child) that he will have weight issues when he becomes a teen and puberty sets in, or he'll struggle with weight issues as a young adult. I want him to understand that just because he THINKS he's hungry, doesn't mean that he is, and that he should have enough self control (something both I and his father lack) to say NO to food!

Zamaria
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys eat like horses. I let them eat as much as they want as long as it's healthy, and they drink water or milk except with meals occasionally. If they want something sugary or chips or something it's usually a no. I keep lots of apples and baby carrots, bananas, peanutbutter, whole wheat tortillias, popcorn (not the microwave kind) cheese, etc. And when they ask for a snack, I always ask if they are really hungry or just bored. A lot of times they are bored so I help them find something to do instead. but they really do eat like crazy. My 13 yo eats more than DH does. Making sure they develop healthy habits is the most important thing. Recognizing wether they are hungry or just want to eat is important, and eating healthy things sets them up for healthy eating later in life. Also, sunflower seeds are great! They are cheap, and it takes time to get the shells off so they eat less, and they are fairly healthy as long as they don't have too much salt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM

My son is not quite at that stage yet, but I've heard it's pretty normal. Many people have told me that their teenage son would drink a whole gallon of milk a day when they were going through growth spurts.

itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
This makes me wonder if my son will be like that when he gets older. If we let him he will eat a double cheeseburger with a large fried and a large usweet tea from Sonic, but since he is only 7 I don't . His dad has though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)