Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Eating us out of house and home...

Posted by   + Show Post

I have two step sons, 11 and 14 and they are eating us out of house and home. We can not keep enough food in the fridge. I just made a large meal, turkey burgers with cheese and buns, a big garden salad, a large bowl of pasta noodles, a bowl of peaches. They ate all of that just ten minutes ago and want more food. We offer seconds at meals. They are also eating 8-10 snacks a day. They are both active and thin but I feel they are eating too much. Is this just part of growing? Or is it reasonable to limit the amount of snacks they are eating?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (11-18):
cleanmoss
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

my 11 year old DD is the same way, soon as it enters soon as it leaves, its hard to keep food stocked up in the house doesn't even matter if I buy fruit and yogurt its gone gone gone.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM

While it's pretty normal behavior for growing boys, I would limit/monitor their snacks. Only one or two "treat" snacks a day, and the rest must be fruits or veggies. (Or popcorn, like a PP suggested--as long as it's unbuttered or light butter.) Make sure they're drinking enough water/non-sugary drinks, as well.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 7 1/2 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 4 years old
Chloe Madison & Harmon David due 04-15-2012

KTMOM
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Wow, they are definitely growing boys. LOL Try packing as much protein as you can into meals to see if that sticks with themlonger.

lovingangel1971
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

My 14 yr old son is eating alot more in one day as well as mixing tang,tea,and lemonade powder drinks all in one. He will eat 3 corn dogs and an apple and 20 mins later he will eat a bologna and ham sandwhich and an orange and then sneek in the freezer and get an eggroll. That is around 5:00-8:00 pm. I can't imagine digesting all that at night. Ugh! I very rarely buy chips or cheetos,so he mostly just keeps eating all the meat in like 2 days. He will eat a whole pack of lunch meat ham in 2 days and if i don't see him making the sandwhich he will eat the pack in 2 hours. I do keep Carrots and Ranch dip around as much as possible cause he love that stuff. He goes overboard on the amount of dips and sandwhich spreads he uses. He is overweight as it is but his problem is he says i'm bored and then keeps eating. I tell him to drink more water to fill him up. It's so overwhelming. I throw in the towel half the time and remind him that eating too much is not healthy and that he could get sick if he eats too much. I tell him he will have to man up and face his consequences. If i don't let him eat those amounts,he freaks out and gets mad at me. I tell him,"I love you but your getting older now and food digests different now and you have to take better care of yourself if you ever want any girlfriends." Just using the girlfriend idea for his motivation. Sometimes it makes him stop and think. So yeah,it's tough but i hope he will slow down soon. 

jhelmke
by Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM

My son eatiing increases usually with only growth spurts and  sports. He burns allot of calories.  He does eat as much when he is not in sports.  

eviesmom453
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

My almost 9 yo eats EVERYTHING.

pebos_mama
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

it is normal, if they are not pigging out on junk then let them eat. they are growing and need lots of food. if you cant afford it id reccommend a food pantry or salvation army.

whoopsie16
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Its reasonable, but the foods are not heavy. If you give them oatmeal, and casseroles they usually make you get full alot faster. This is how my mom always kept food in the house when we get low in food stamps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN