Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

daughters and temporary hair dye

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM
  • 21 Replies
My daughter that just turned 13 wants to use temporary hair dye to dye the tips of her hair pink. She is a A/B honor roll child, very envolved in church youth group and all around great kid, so I have no issue with this. My husband however has concerns with this and wants to know if any of you had any advice or dealt with this.
I grew up in a house with the thoughts that its only hair and was allowed to do whatever with my hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
guccimomma
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

My dd is 10.5 and I put hot pink streaks in her hair with temp. dye.  It's cute and she loves it.  She is very trendy and like to express herself through her looks and fashion and I feel like what the heck, it's just hair and it washes out.

xElizabethx
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

What is your husband's issue with it? IMO, it is JUST hair and she isn't wanting to do anything to it that cannot be reversed. I've never understood why some parents are so protective over their children's hair in regards to cutting or styling it. We've dyed DD's hair a couple times. My only issue with doing it is the upkeep. It can get pricey and tedious. Have you thought about colorful clip in hair extensions?

STKsMomma
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM
I have let my 10 year old do this but beware if she has blonde hair it will not wash out in the 7 to 10 washes like the package says. So know what you are getting into there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
guccimomma
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM

This is very true and I didn't think to add that into my previous post.  My dd is a blonde and it took months (of daily showering) for it to completely wash out the last time we did it.  After it finally washed out she decided she wanted feathers and wore them for a while but got tired of them.  Now we're back to pink streaks.

Quoting STKsMomma:

I have let my 10 year old do this but beware if she has blonde hair it will not wash out in the 7 to 10 washes like the package says. So know what you are getting into there.

itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I don't see the problem with it as long as it doesn't interfare with school and household things. Of course as long as you don't either. My oldest is only allowed to do that type of stuff during the summer because of the type of school she goes to. It is against there policy and she would get kicked out if she did it.

MamaMandee
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM
I allowed my daughter to dye her hair black (her hair is almost black anyhow) after we made a deal on a all A report card. She too is 13. Currently her best friend got a purple streak in her's. They are both good girls and sounds like your daughter is too. Maybe your hubby can come up with a contract or something with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smooshie1
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM
He's very conservative and thinks if we are letting her do this at 13 what's at 15. I told him by letting her do this we are keeping her within limits but allowing her to express herself in an appropriate outlet.
By the way she has done the hair feathers and loved them but we live at the beach so the get ratty and look bad after a few days in the ocean. (We live in a southeastern coastal community)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I have boys and they have did the temp. hair dye in the past. I would check the school dress code and hair policy before doing this. Some schools do not allow anything that isn't a natural hair color.

KTMOM
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Honestly, if a kid is a good kid I think that letting them express themselves a bit is not a big deal at all.

xElizabethx
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Quoting smooshie1:

He's very conservative and thinks if we are letting her do this at 13 what's at 15. I told him by letting her do this we are keeping her within limits but allowing her to express herself in an appropriate outlet.
By the way she has done the hair feathers and loved them but we live at the beach so the get ratty and look bad after a few days in the ocean. (We live in a southeastern coastal community)

Maybe try the clip in extensions then? I'm not sure if there is anything anyone can say that tops you DH's preferences, ya know? I guess I'm bad about this stuff because I would have just done it without even thinking about asking DH because in our household it's just so whatever. I found a bunch of clip on extensions at places like Walmart, Claire's, and beauty supply stores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)