Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

10 yr old boy & puberty?

Is he really starting and what comes first?
He smells after playing outside HAHAHA when dont they?
You know he smells more bo than dirty little boy.  Also not that I have checked but he says he is getting hairy and it is freaking him out cause we are Italian and all the men in our family are very hairy. He is thinking it will be coming out his ears soon kinda funny but I see his concern. Yes I explained that comes much later in life. I told him to let me know when the hair is dark like black.
Is it possible already?
Thanks for helping,
Shannon
by on Apr. 27, 2007 at 2:25 PM
Replies (11-18):
BKBreshears
by on May. 15, 2007 at 9:44 AM
Yes, unfortunately, it is very REAL and possible.  I am a nurse who works in Labor & Delivery and I am telling you, it is NEVER too early to discuss puberty and the like with your 10 year old.  If they are starting to mature physically, you can bet that the hormones are there also and it is time for "the talk."  I personally feel that it is best to be very detailed because you have to remember that kids at 10 are still a little bit of concrete thinkers...they believe literally, and DO, EXACTLY what you tell them.  Example...put this dish in the dishwasher.  They will put the dish in the dishwasher, if you want it rinsed first, you need to specify.  I have a 16 yr. old, 12 yr. old and 9 yr. old and all have had the talk.  The oldest about the time he was 10-11.  You have to take each kid individually but I believe if you talk to them before the schools do, they will be much more comfortable with the subject.  Has anyone heard about how your meat and dairy company's are adding hormones to their livestock to increase growth and production?  Big reason why scientists believe our children are maturing so much earlier.  Won't mention specific names, but there are company's promising to not do this...something to think about.
lucky_lady36274
by on May. 15, 2007 at 11:43 PM
I was blessed with step daughters...it was soooo much easier than my boys...
My oldest boy will be 14 in July...He started wearing Deo at the age of 9. The hormones are still all over the place. And yes he is all into girls. My hubby drives a truck so i had to give the talk....He was 12....Ben is 9 I have already talked to him after finding out David knew it all at age 12

As a sugestion about the odor...deo is great but a body wash designed for men really helps too.
mazzoncini-mom
by on May. 18, 2007 at 12:10 PM
WOW!!!
Thanks everyone!
I wanted to let you know we have had what we think(?) is a age appropriate sex, personal private space, body part talk with him.
I will get him some body wash he will like that so thanks for the tip!
Shannon
 I guess I should add a post on what everyone else thinks is age appropriate for a ten yr old boy. I also think there is a difference maybe to the small community we live in cause his city cousins know to much!
timehungrymom
by on May. 20, 2007 at 12:57 PM
My son is 12 and smells pretty musty when he comes home from baseball or from running.  I haven't noticed it until just recently. 

My 10 year old daughter on the other hand can be pretty smelly (especially her unmentionables).  She also is getting definite breast buds.  It was pretty funny yesterday when we were picking out bras and how discreet she was.  I am sworn to secrecy that her dad and brother don't know.
It is a bear getting my kids to take a shower but no doubt they have to start taking one daily now!
RaiderMommy
by on May. 23, 2007 at 3:19 AM

Oh how lucky you all are with your kids just starting to have to wear deoderant at 10 and 11. My son has been wearing it since he was 5! Hes 11 now. I blame the steroids in the meat. LOL My daughter who is 9 just started getting a lil funky and we will be doing our bra shopping this weekend. My son also started having his nocturnal emissions (wet dreams) 2 yrs ago talk about a fun talk. I remember walking in on my son 2 yrs ago and noticing he had private area hairs, I couldnt believe it. In my eyes hes still the 18 month old scooting on his butt down the stairs.

mommywine
by on May. 23, 2007 at 8:35 AM
My son was 10 when he started needing to wear deodorant...I too thought no way, he's too young for this to be starting...but he is 11 now, and he has a couple of wispy hairs under his arms, and the hair on his legs is appearing thicker and darker...he has been on an emotional roller coaster as well. Some days, with the moodiness and mouth , I don't know how I will survive!!  I have the feeling I will barely be through things with him when it all starts up with my next child, then the third will start right behind her....I have kids ages, 11, 9, and 8 years old....I think I have a while to deal with the tyrants of puberty!! God help me!!
CynthiaJ
by on May. 23, 2007 at 9:18 AM
My 12 yo started asking questions about sex when he was 10.  It was funny -- I answered his questions and he went "Ewwww".  I try to keep an open line of communication on the subject because I think it's important that he understand that sex is a normal, healthy part of life.  Naturally we also talk about being responsible -- I'm doing it now, because I think if he hears it now (and more than once) there's a better chance he'll remember to take care of himself when he's in the heat of the moment MUCH later on I hope!  I would take your cues from your son -- if he's asking questions it's time to talk about it.
CynthiaJ
by on May. 23, 2007 at 9:26 AM
Definitely this is possible -- even likely.    My son was about 9-10 when he started "developing" and getting hair.  This is the age when all the sports professionals say to start using a cup because there's actually something down there to injure.  He had major moodiness and anger going on.  It's also about the time he started having some social difficulties, probably because of his emotions.  Since then he's really settled down although I expect there will more changes yet to come.  I just treated his rudeness like I would any other bad behavior -- hormones are no excuse!  I think setting limits helped him to feel a little more in control.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN