Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Are you already thinking about Summer Camp...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM
  • 35 Replies

options or trips for the kids this summer?

What kind of camps are you deciding on?

How do you decide which one is the right fit for your child?

Do you focus mainly on day camps or sleep away camps?

Sport camps or Church camps?

Is cost a huge factor?

by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Yes, I am.

My son wants to do an overnight hockey camp, and it's reasonably priced. But it's a couple hours away. So I'm debating whether I want to make the round trip twice in one week for it.....

psych_mom
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM
My kids are all going to a day camp for music. Cost is a factor for other camps, but we are looking into things for the oldest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fineyouguyswin
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 8:25 PM

No summer camps here cost is not a factor There is no camps I feel right for them to go to.

fineyouguyswin
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

We do take them camping and sight seeing as a family however

bellasdesserts
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

MY dd is 10 1/2 and her camp closed this year, so I am searching feverishly for a day camp.  She wants to do a week of sleep away camp, and there is a girl scout camp nearby and is incredible affordable, almost the same as day camp for a week.  She always does a soccer camp for a week, and we usually will take a week off for vacation.  I am thinking of mixing things up this summer, and join a pool and intersperse that with weeks of camp.

In the past she went to the local Y camp, but there were several kids in her group who were totally innappropriate, speaking of sex, sexuality etc.  We complained but hardly anything was done so that's out.  I want a healthy environment for my dd to go to every day where kids are kids and the counselors are good role models!

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Oh yes.  We always have a crazy camp schedule inspite of my efforts not to.

It's mostly trial and error when picking the camps.  The girls change and the camps change.  Some camps that were great in years past have either not been run well or the girls have outgrown.

Cost is somewhat a factor but since mine are in a camp all day most of the summer I try to pick something they will enjoy. This year I'm going to put them in a bookstore camp for as many weeks as I can swing. They loved it last year.  Also maybe a rock climbing and a gymnastic camp.

ShannonRoe
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Dh will becoming home from our 2nd Deployment soon, so for spring dd and ds will play soccer. And then we are planing taking them to Sea World and Great Wolf Lodge.
But of course this summer we will have Cheer Camp and we try to keep them busy and we like going to the Lake
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloGeek
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

My boys are going to try something for the first time this year.  Not a sleepover thing. They are looking at the local video game design program.  Price is definitely a factor.  Almost 300 dollars for one week is too much. So, we look at the ones that cost less.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Just found out the dates and cost for ds2's Cub Scout day camp last wk. Ds1 will be going to Boy Scout camp. Waiting to hear about dates/costs for Girl Scout day camp for dd.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I never sent my children to summer camp. We are huge campers and go together as a family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)