Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The cost of homelessness...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

I never much thought about it before -- - but I guess the law makes sense, even though it has become very costly for some communities.    In one Massachusetts town, they expect to send about $218,000 transporting homeless students this year compared to $107,580 last year.  

The federal McKinney-Vento Act allows students who become homeless and are forced to relocate to another community to continue attending school in the same district they came from.  Under the law, students living in shelters, temporary housing, trailer parks, campgrounds and doubling up with friends or relatives because of financial hardship all qualify as homeless.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
summerbear
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM

How sad that amount has increased. I pray things get better for all very soon.

kmrtigger
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

That is something I never really thought of either. It's very sad what the economy has become over the years.

pami5633
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Where do you live? I am in Amesbury MA, What you have described happens in Salisbury MA, It has alot of people who live there in winter when housing is cheap, however come Summer time, the rentals are $1000 at least a week, and not the $1000 a month. Its a "beach" town. So many kids are displaced every year. So sad. 

auroragold
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Quoting pami5633:

Where do you live? I am in Amesbury MA, What you have described happens in Salisbury MA, It has alot of people who live there in winter when housing is cheap, however come Summer time, the rentals are $1000 at least a week, and not the $1000 a month. Its a "beach" town. So many kids are displaced every year. So sad. 

That figure was actually for Weymouth. I'm on the south shore

pami5633
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Aaaah. Im on the North Shore. New hampshire border. I broke my elbow in weymouth when i was 6.  lol Is there a alot of "beach" people come and go? Or is just from the economy being retched?  Wow I never would think that there was another place like Salisbury, next town over to me. It must be happening everywhere. So sad. Tent cities, living in camp grounds year round. 

Barabell
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That is sad.

I'm wondering if sharp increase in the amount is more due to the increase in gas prices or a combination of gas prices and the amount of homeless students?

I know that the busing costs at my son's school district is one of the biggest budget items they have. They've been trying to move away from magnet schools to balance out the community's inequalities and back to neighborhood schools due to the increase cost of busing. It's been kind of a painful change to see taking place, but a necessary change.

caytismom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I personally have had to take advantage of that Act, but fortuantly never had to ask for assistance in the busing to the school.  When my husband of 15 years walked out on us, as for most women, your world as you know it falls apart.  I tried to keep us afloat as long as I could and we ended up having ot move in with my parents, I was left with a ton of debt from him, and he didnt seem to think they were his bills or that child support is something that was needed.  When the school found out, they helped due to this Act.  It helped us get back on our feet.  It also assists with puting your child on the free lunch program for the remainer of the school year, school supplies if you need then, eye glasses, and if you have no where to go, they will pay for up to 1 week in a hotel.   We got back on our feet, and a few years later I met a man, we moved in with him, then things went south.  We lived in a hotel for a while until I got an apartment, but I refused the schools offer to pay for it.  I also refused the free lunch program, but it was nice to know it was there if I HAD to have it this time.  The economy here is so bad, and families are in such bad shape.  Thankfully I have a good, stable job..for now.  You never know now days. 

psych_mom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Wow... It's great that they have this program. We don't have anything like this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM

How sad! Homelessness is a HUGE problem. One I would think no citizen should ever face.

crystal.davis78
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

If you live in a trailor your homeless?  I don't think so, I own a mobile home, and we are not homeless, we are home owners.  WTF?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)