Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chocolate Fountain- return or not?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

DD has been asking for a chocolate fountain so I thought it would be fun to surprise her with one on Valentine's Day with all kinds of fun stuff to dip into it. I just found a small $35 but after reading reviews online about them half the reviews say it doesn't work. I am so disappointed. Should I return it and spend the money on something better? DH thinks I should just keep it but I'll be so upset on Valentine's Day if it doesn't work right and then DD won't have much of a gift (besides that I just got her and the lil one each a book).

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Amberrosesmom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM
I think that would be a great surprise. I would keep it and give it a try. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
styler7
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM
My daughter wanted one sooo bad last year. She only used it once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto2gr8ones
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I say take it back and take her to Golden Corral where they have the "chocolate wonderfall" as well as special valentine treats to dip into them.  :D  My kids love going to GC every chance they get thanks to that thing.  LOL

psych_mom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I would keep it and try it out. Even if she doesn't use it often you would still have it on hand for parties and things like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellasdesserts
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

You will use it once.  It takes tons of chocolate, and it's a mess to clean up.  Take it from a professional, it is not something you want to deal with.  Go to the craft store, and buy some coating chocolate, and some valentines day chocolate molds and make chocolates with her.  That would be fun, and something you would do more than once, and buy different molds for different occasions.

Morrigan333
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Can you afford to buy a "back-up" gift if the CF is a FAIL?

I've bought many of those kindsof things and they are ALL crap! I return, I haven't bought any recent things like that. I get reviews first now. For dd's birthday(Dec), I gave her a gift I'd bought wayyyyy earlier that I was holding for the time she acctually deserved it, well... It was the Rose Art Glitter and Glam nail station. Don't get it! The battery compartment is wicked hard to get to( i gave up) i heard the glitter station doesn't even work like u thinkit will, (you clould BLOW the glitter on yourself with better results) > I tried to take it back to Kmart where I had purchased it (again..months earlier) and because I had no receipt, or it was way over 60 days, they wouldn't take it back. NowI'm stuck with a $20 POS that I can't stand to look at!

auroragold
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I had one - used it one time, then sold it.

It is the BIGGEST pain in the butt to clean - and the one I had required some 5lbs of chocolate to function.  Not worth it.

Get a fondue pot instead

Zamaria
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd go with a fondue pot. We have a chocolate fountain, but we only use it on holidays when we have tons of family over. It's just too much of a hassle for frequent use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I agree with the majority of PP. I would return it and do either the mold or fondue suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)