Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

DD's Lent sacrifice...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

Not sure how to react to Dd's decision as to what she is giving up for lent. She declared that she is going to play outside less so she can spend more time with family. I am not exactly real supportive of that decision because she is a child...she should be outside playing! And I can't help but wonder if I said or did something to make her feel like it bothers me. I don't like making her feel like she made a dumb decision but my reaction was questionable. So I told her we could revise it to not getting angry when she is called to come inside. It's funny because there are so many other things I can think of that she could try to work on but I guess that is the promise that she made so...

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
3gifts.from.god
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If this is what she chose, support it. If you are concerned that she won't be spending enough time outside, then take a family activity outside.

psych_mom
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I agree with the above poster, maybe try to spend more family time outside. As the weather warms up, do picnics and things like that so she doesn't spend to much time inside.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I think that it is a good thing to want to spend more time with your family and like someone else said, spend that extra family time outside doing something together.  Even as they get older they still need time with us old folks.

My youngest son is only 8, so too young to completely understand a lenten sacrifice.  My oldest son is working on being more respectful of his father.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I would explain to her that while you are glad that she wants to spend more time with family, lent it meant to sacrifice the things that might not quite be good for us that we enjoy, and playing outside is good for her and its healthy and you are glad that she does it, so maybe she could consider another thing to give up. For example, my sister originally was going to give up junk food, but her doctor said that wouldn't be a healthy choice, we grew up in a neglectful home and both suffered from malnutrition, now Im her guardian so shes getting better and gaining weight so we can be healthy, so he said cutting out carbs is not a healthy choice, right now he actually wants her to eat junk food, so instead she decided she would clean her room without being asked to.

fineyouguyswin
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM

That is a strange thing to give up :/ but it isn't forever and if she is really doing it to spend more time with you then it may be good :O)

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

As a Catechist I wanted to point out something that most parents aren't aware of.  The church no longer teachs our children about giving up something for Lent.  The focus of our Lenten teachings is on preparing outselves to renew of baptismal promises at Easter.  The way to prepare for this is to pray, do penance, and do good works.  I have my students make a weekly plan of what they are going to do to work on their Lenten preparations.  When are they going to pray and what prayer(s) are they going to use?  What are they going to do to repair any damage that they have caused to their relationships, this would be penance?  What acts of charity or good deeds are they going to do?  The students keep track of what they have accomplished of their plans and report back to me during class on their progress.  I am always amazed at what children can do with a little encouragement.

So maybe instead of focusing on chocolate, sweets, junkfood, soda, and the like, consider doing a family community service project.

mamarj
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

As a Catechist I wanted to point out something that most parents aren't aware of.  The church no longer teachs our children about giving up something for Lent.  The focus of our Lenten teachings is on preparing outselves to renew of baptismal promises at Easter.  The way to prepare for this is to pray, do penance, and do good works.  I have my students make a weekly plan of what they are going to do to work on their Lenten preparations.  When are they going to pray and what prayer(s) are they going to use?  What are they going to do to repair any damage that they have caused to their relationships, this would be penance?  What acts of charity or good deeds are they going to do?  The students keep track of what they have accomplished of their plans and report back to me during class on their progress.  I am always amazed at what children can do with a little encouragement.

So maybe instead of focusing on chocolate, sweets, junkfood, soda, and the like, consider doing a family community service project.

That may explain how she came up with it. If her teacher suggested to "improve on relationships" and she gave an example of spending more time with family then that's probably what DD decided to work on. It's a very hard plan to keep track of though because everytime she asks to play outside I'm going to say yes and she has been outside all weekend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN