Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Warning - Watch the Magazines Your Child Reads and the Music Videos they Watch

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

XXL is a Hip Hop Musis magazine, not necessarily inteded for teens, but something they might have access to.  I cut the pleas to boycot, but thought the warning was worth passing on.

During Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, a popular magazine for teens, XXL Magazine, ran a video interview with hip-hop artist Too $hort where he encouraged teenage boys to “turn girls out” by pushing them "up against the wall.” The recording artist continued, graphically urging his audience to put their hands inside the underwear of middle school-aged girls in order to achieve what he called “mind manipulation.” The magazine packaged the disturbing monologue with "upbeat child-themed music" under the headline “Fatherly Advice From Too $hort.” [1]

Sexual assault in middle school and high school is real. And, encouraging young boys to assault young girls is irresponsible and dangerous. A recent study by the Association of American University Women shows that 1 in 4 adolescent girls are victims of sexual harassment or assault in the 7-12th grades. [2]

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
foxymomof4
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My kids are not allowed to buy magazines or nothing like that I don't even by them myself and when it comes to videos they don't watch them either I will tell you something My hubby and I are big on beign good examples for our kids so what we don't our kids to do we don't do.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Luckily no one in our house is the least bit interested in the hip hop world.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Wow. And this is exactly why I wouldn't let my kids listen to or read this crap even if they wanted to. Luckily they don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Wow... seriously that is just messed up. None of my kids are interested either.

kschlag
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Pretty shocking - I agree.

Luckily my son hates hip hop, too.!

auroragold
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Yeah I read that news story (have never seen the magazine)... 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

My boys aren't into the magazines or much of the music videos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)