Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

beauty pageant

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM
  • 10 Replies

WOULD YOU LET YOUR 11 DD BE IN A BEAUTY PAGEANT? JUST WONDERING MY DAUGHTER IS IN ONE THIS WEEKEND,ITS A PAGEANT THAT IS HELD HERE IN OUR TOWN EVERY YEAR.I WAS CURIOUS WHAT YOU LADIES OUT THERE THOUGHT ABOUT IT.

by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fineyouguyswin
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM

No I wouldn't I don't believe they teach the right thing. 

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Sure.  My nieces did pagents in the 90's when they were in elementary school.  I paid for most of their outfits and did their hair.  It was nothing like what happens on that TLC reality show.  Both girls had a great time and quit when they no longer wanted to participate.

psych_mom
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

No, even though my 7yo has mentioned them. I don't want her so focused on outward beauty.

indymom22
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Maybe. It depends on what the pageant is like. Contrary to popular belief, pageants can be good for girls as long as the parents choose well and don't go crazy about them. We don't do pageants but I've seen how girls really grow in confidence, discipline, and knowledge by participating in them.
auroragold
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Not for us..........

shelleyragsdale
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I would absolutely let her compete.  Pageants are a lot of fun for the girls.  I was only in one my whole life and I remember how fun it was and I won the Miss Congeniality award, so this meant a lot to me.  Have fun...

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM

We've gone to and watched them before, though. Categories such as most photogenic, best hair....this just doesn't send the right message, and the kids could be really hurt when they expect to win in at least 1 category and they don't get squat. SAD, then they feel they aren't "pretty enough", or  "likeable(sp)"

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

emilyrosenj
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I would let my daughter compete.  She wants to, I just need to get my son off to college first!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Being a mom of boys makes me thankful sometimes. I honestly don't know what I would do if i had a daughter. I think it depends on the dynamics of the show. And how my daughter handled her emotions, etc.

fineyouguyswin
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Our feeling exactly. Looks don't make you who you are and we don't teach that looks are important in our house. We ahve been approached to enter our daughter but ehhh...She has plenty of time in life for others to judge her :O)

Quoting Morrigan333:

We've gone to and watched them before, though. Categories such as most photogenic, best hair....this just doesn't send the right message, and the kids could be really hurt when they expect to win in at least 1 category and they don't get squat. SAD, then they feel they aren't "pretty enough", or  "likeable(sp)"

Quoting fineyouguyswin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)