Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheap confessions

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 28 Replies
Money is tight here! I am a cheapo anyway, but when things get tight I get really really cheap. Sometimes to the point that it's slightly embarrassing! Some of the things I do:
I mix water with the milk to make it go further when we are running low.
I don't flush the toilet every time I pee to save on the water bill.
I buy gifts for my kids from the goodwill or other thrift shops if I can.
I re-use coffee grounds. DH likes his really strong, and we have a one cup coffee maker, so I make his first then re-use the grounds to make mine.
I save dryer lint. I really have no reason for that. I just can't make myself throw it away. Lol!
I save old sheets and make house dresses, nightgowns and aprons. They're usually ugly, but it works.
There are other things, but I can't think of them right now.
Do you do silly things because you're cheap or money is tight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Some of those things are leftovers from our grandmothers (if they were depression era women).

The dryer lint that WE save is used to make paper (arts & craft & science experiment)

I see nothing wrong with gifts from Thrift Stores either - assuming that the quality of the item is good!

The not flushing thing goes back a LOOOONG time in my history. I used to go to a summer home where the pump for the toilet was so noisy that we didn't flush after 8pm at night!  I got used to that and - with exceptions for that time of the month - - it's pretty much the same now.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM
3 moms liked this

You can take the dryer lint and those old sheets to make a pillow out of them. My great grandmother used to do that.

fineyouguyswin
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

When money is tight I unplug everything in the house all day open the blinds and go through things in the house. I don't use trashbags just dump the trashcan into the dumpster, eat lots of beans and rice, shower every other day instead of every day, use half the laundry soap

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM
I bake baking soda to make washing soda and mix it with powdered laundry detergent to make it last longer. I substitute vinegar for liquid fabric softener in the washer. Then I mix hair conditioner and water in a spray bottle and spray the clothes after they're washed instead of using
dryer sheets. It works! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I refuse to buy fancy household cleaners and wipes.  A $2.00 gallon of bleach goes a VERY long way.  A teaspoon of bleach mixed with water in a spray bottle is an effective cleaner for just about anything!

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are tight on money here is some great recipes to make your own household cleaners.  This blog also has some other great money saving tips.

I don't flush the toilet all day long while the kids are at school.  It is just me here and I really don't care.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM

There are a ton of things you can make to save money.

How about Room Air Fresheners?

diy room air freshener

Homemade cleaners:

Miracle cleaner

Homemade grease cutter, antibacterial sprays, all purpose cleaner, etc.

Orange peel vinegar for cleaning.

Make reusable swiffer dusters.

More homemade cleaners.

Tub and tile cleaner: 1 tsp liquid soap 10 drops tea tree oil 1 cup baking soda Enough water to make a paste Martha Stewart's Tub Scrub--works better than any other cleaning product to get off hard water and soap residue

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Quoting Zamaria:

I bake baking soda to make washing soda and mix it with powdered laundry detergent to make it last longer. I substitute vinegar for liquid fabric softener in the washer. Then I mix hair conditioner and water in a spray bottle and spray the clothes after they're washed instead of using
dryer sheets. It works! Lol

You can take a towel and soak it in fabric softener. Let it dry and toss it in the dryer with laundry. It will last a month. Then re-soak and do all over.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Stay organized and keep a list of what is in your pantry and freezer.  Also keep a list of perishable produce that is in your refrigerator.  Plan your meals around using up what you've got.

We use up EVERYTHING!!!

Juice from canned mandarin oranges (or other fruit) becomes marinade for chicken or pork.

Bread ends go into the freezer in one bag.  When it's full, I make stuffing.  (or breadcrumbs if needed)

Pickle juice in a jar is re-used by adding a cucumber and waiting 3 days (in the refrigerator) or it is used in place of vinegar in potato and macaroni salads.

Bits of jelly in the jar?  Add juice, shake it up, pour into an ice pop mold.

Bits of peanut butter in the jar?  Add milk and pour into instant pudding mix.  Chocolate with peanut butter bits is yummy!

Leftover cooked veggies get combined in omelettes over the weekend or thrown into a freezer container and are later added to soup.  They are also great in quessadillas or fried rice.

Chicken bones and skins are boiled with onion and carrot peels and celery tops to make homemade chemical-free chicken stock.

Bits of fruit or over-ripe fruit goes into a fruit crisp or other baked dessert.

Soft bananas are frozen and added to smoothies so that no ice is needed.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I always repurpose leftovers. Example: chili becomes chili dogs another night.

If I make more than needed(sometimes done on purpose for this reason) I freeze for another day.

If there isn't a ton leftover we use it as a side dish the next night.

Or I make a Shepard's pie.

And one night a week we have leftovers. I set everything on the counter and we fill our plates and reheat in the microwave. I call that our "Toss it on the Table" night dinner. Usually do this on trash night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)