Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

bday party

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

at what age did you stop having "goodie bags" for birthday partys?

For me growing up we always had family bday partys the only kids that came were cousins so my mom never did goodie bags.

My SD is turning 12 this month and wants to have a bday party with friends which is fine shes been living with us for 3yrs and each year we try to do something diff. for her. The 1st yr was a slumber party with all kinds of goodies etc. Last yr was a combo family / friend party and they did karokoe / dress up and we had goodie bags. This year we are doing another combo party and she wants Luau theme but with the past 2 yrs all the goodie bag stuff was left all over the house i dont think anyone took the "toys" they only took the candy. I think if im doing a bunch of food and cake shouldnt that be enough? Plus we are on a very tight budget this year.

Also any ideas on homemade decorations/food for Luau theme

Thanks

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TwinSoccerMom
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM

We never really have done them. One time we had a bowling birthday party and I made t-shirt "bowling" shirts for each kid with their names on it.  They were only about 5 bucks and actually cheaper than getting items for a goody bag. Sometimes we have just given a little trinket that goes along with the theme of the party.  We gave out nerf footballs and pom poms in our school colors one year.  One time I got cheap frames for each kid then I took a picture of the group at the party and went down to the local one-hour picture place and picked up the pictures and put them in the frames before anyone left.  (DH went to pick up the pics while I stayed with the kids.)  I even managed to surprise my kids with them and everyone loved them!

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I don't recall the last time I made up "goodie bags", maybe when they were 4 or 5.

Barabell
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I think the last time we did goodie bags was his 8th birthday. My son is 12, and I can't remember the last time he brought home a goodie bag from a party either.

styler7
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM
5 or 6, maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I've never really done them. It's my kid's birthday and I don't see why I should have to give everyone a gift as well as feed them cake, ice cream and snacks.

REDSKI
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM
My dd turned 12 last month. I skipped the goodie bags for the same.reason. Instead I bought a few prizes and played games but made sure I had enough for each child. And went with just some pizza and cake. No complaints and I heard a few "this is the best party ever" :) glow sticks were also a big hit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-KJ
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I don't remember the last time I made goodie bags for my older boys birthdays. I did last year for my youngest's 5th birthday but probably haven't done it since they were 6 or 7.

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

The Dollar Tree store usually has Luau style decorations. Also you could get a beige or green plastic tablecloth(think dollar store one) unfold it, then fold it it half lengthwise and cut slits up to about 2 inches or so to the folded edge. Then simply tape them around the walls to make then like Hula skirting.

fineyouguyswin
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

My kids haven't had a party in years every time we planned one no one showed and they were disappointed so now we just do something else.

nebcutie
by Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM
My dd doesn't have parties but the one she went to last week did not do goodies bags. She is 11.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN