Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I read 11 yr old's diary

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 43 Replies

Yeah, I snooped and read her diary today. Unfortunately it said she'll always hate me, among other things that had nothing to do with me.  Guess I'm doing my job then because I'm her parent first, not her friend. She wrote this after we had an argument over her disrespectful behavior. Still, it's tough, after everything I've done for her.  I'm not going to say anything to her about it or act any different. She's entering into teen years and acts more like she's 16 than 11. Hopefully when she's 16 she'll keep up the trend and act more like she's 23. Have you ever read your kid's diary, and have they ever told you they hate you to your face? She's never said that to my face, but did write it. 

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STKsMomma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM
My dd doesn't have one but I don't know that I would unless I had a dang good reason too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momx7
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids don't have them and if they did, damn right I would read it! They talk to me about pretty much everything so it's not that I don't trust them...I just make it my business to know everything about my kids...that's my job and if it pisses them off then I guess I'm doing my job well :) I go through everything of my sd's because she gives me every reason in the world not to trust her...and I always find more reasons every time I snoop. I dont feel like I need to go through my kids things like I do hers. And yes they have told me they hate me...I just say that's ok cuz I love you enough for both of us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I doubt that I would ever be able to invade their privacy like that without having a really, really, really good reason - like suspected drug use or something equally as deadly.  Sure they've said that they hated me, but we all say things that we don't really mean in the heat of the moment.  That doesn't give you reason to read a diary though.

Zamaria
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM
I agree 100%

Quoting momx7:

My kids don't have them and if they did, damn right I would read it! They talk to me about pretty much everything so it's not that I don't trust them...I just make it my business to know everything about my kids...that's my job and if it pisses them off then I guess I'm doing my job well :) I go through everything of my sd's because she gives me every reason in the world not to trust her...and I always find more reasons every time I snoop. I dont feel like I need to go through my kids things like I do hers. And yes they have told me they hate me...I just say that's ok cuz I love you enough for both of us!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
akgrear
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Yes, I have read my daughter's when she left it out.

She hasn't told us yet that she hates us but she has said that she doesn't want to live here anymore. My husband gets upset but I told him he has years and years of this yet to go.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I've never read my kids diary. To me that's her personal space and I don't want to invade it. If I suspected they were going to harm themselves or someone else I would snoop. However, I just don't get invading their personal thoughts like that, sorry.

NiCo86
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

wow.

You took the ONLY bit of true privacy and self-expression that she had. Her diary is what she uses as an outlet to cope.

I am sorry, but you are SO in the wrong for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NiCo86
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM
3 moms liked this

you know what ... after reading some of these responses ...

THIS is why so many children these days HIDE and SNEAK!! There is a certain point that a child should be able to yell and scream IN WRITING IN THEIR OWN DIARY and feel SAFE to do so !!!!! Do you WANT your child to turn inwards? do you WANT your child to become isolated in their emotions?? LET THEM SAY WHAT THEY WANT TO SAY IN THEIR OWN DIARY for Christ's sake!!!!

How would you feel if your husband read your diary???????????

Electronics? Fine, make sure they're not sexting or not posting pics of themselves doing inapprorpiate activities on facebook.

But their DIARY????!!!!!!! This is where they can say "OMG I FUCKING HATE HER!!!" and let it out of their system, and cool down, and collect their thoughts. It's not YOUR business!! And if it were ... they'd talk to you about it!! And if they don't ... OBVIOUSLY you're failing as a parent!

I believe in open lines of communication. TALK to your children! DON'T SNOOP!!!!

AUGH you're like a bad girlfriend!!!!

ocean10844
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM
I would be livid if someone went through my stuff!! It's one thing to snope in their room but their diary is a personal item to them!! I'd never read that!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

She has one and no, I have not read it.  I don't believe I will.  

I'll never say NEVER because I don't know what life will be like when she's a teenager but I'll hope that she's not a hellion whom I can't trust...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)