Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Hunger Games movie question *Update*

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM
  • 41 Replies

OK, I have a question of opinion for all the moms of tweens here.  My daughter is 11 and in 6th grade.  ALl the middle school teachers have been reading the Hunger Games trilogy books to their reading classes throughout this whole year.  My daughter has also read all 3 books, which we talked about throughout her reading them. In the middle school they have 3 'award' trips they can earn during the year, and for the next one coming up the teachers told the kids it would be a movie and bowling trip, and that the movie would be The Hunger Games.  When are they going?  March 23rd, the day the movie opens.  I have a few concerns about this, one of which is that there has been discussion for quite awhile about the rating of this movie, mostly that people thought it would have to be R, but now turns out that it's PG13.  With the trip taking place on the "opening day" of the movie, none of the teachers will even have had the chance to see it first to decide if it's appropriate.  Having read the books myself, I'm wondering how they're going to portray some of the scenes in the Arena.  I read an article here ( http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2012/03/05/the-hunger-games-violence-pg-13-rating/  ) about the movie rating, and the director of the movie said this:

“You don’t need to be gratuitous in order to be honest and capture the intensity of the book…Is it violent? Yes. Do we back off from what it is? No we don’t,” Gary tells EW. “But I’m not interested in violence for violence’s sake. This is a character’s story; it’s about Katniss’ journey.”

Now, I don't really know how to take that.  The book was pretty graphic, so even if they show what the book describes, it will be pretty intense. 

So, I guess my problem is that the teachers have already told the kids that that's the movie they'll see, but they haven't seen it yet.  What do you think, am I being "one of those" parents?  It's not that I'm absolutely opposed to my daughter seeing the movie, but I had hoped that I could see it before her to "check it out", so to speak, or at least have her teachers see it first!  

What do you think?

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
If you don't feel comfortable with her watching it without you prescreening it you don't have to let her go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AddieTheMommy
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I would personally let her go. I mean, come on, how you YOU feel if you were 'that girl' that couldn't go see a movie cuz her mom said no? 

My kids are too little to go thru this quite yet, but I stumbled upon this. 

I would let her go. If you trust her to be mature about it, then yes. Also, tell her to ask you any questions she may have about it or if she gets scared or anything, make sure to reassure it was just a movie. 

auroragold
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM

I would have hoped they'd see it first too.

But if it's only PG-13 - -AND your DD read it, I can't imagine that it's going to be "that bad" KWIM?

I'll bet you can find some reviews before opening day

Wyldbutterfly
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I wish I could help you with this. I honestly have no idea what the Hunger Games is all about. I think I am going to have to research it because as of late this is all I am hearing about.

e.c.mama
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM

That's my point....I don't want to be the parent that does that to my daughter, but I wish the teachers wouldn't have set things up like this.  I'm sure that all the kids will love the movie no matter how graphic the killings are.  Reading a book, and seeing it on a big screen are different things, just in my opinion.

Quoting AddieTheMommy:
I would personally let her go. I mean, come on, how you YOU feel if you were 'that girl' that couldn't go see a movie cuz her mom said no? 
STKsMomma
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM
I agree they can be very different! Personally, I would think of your daughter not in terms of being "that girl" whose mom said no,but, as in is she mature enough to handle the more graphic scenes, will it give her any issues, nightmares, anxiety? And does she know and can seperate the fact that this is fiction. Also has she ever seen any other movies or shows with content like this? Think gladiator, twilight? Heck some medical shows on tv are pretty graphic.

If after thinking in these terms you will probably have a clearer answer on what you should do.

My dd is 10 and in the 5th grade, she has also read all three books, we have talked about seeing the movie and we talked about the arena scenesa and I showed her a clip from the unrated gladiater movie and watched how she reacted to a 5 min clip of them in the arena setting. She was fine after asked a few questions and that was it. But this kid wants to be a surgeon so blood and guts don't bother her. I am going to take her to see it.

(Sorry so long)

Quoting e.c.mama:

That's my point....I don't want to be the parent that does that to my daughter, but I wish the teachers wouldn't have set things up like this.  I'm sure that all the kids will love the movie no matter how graphic the killings are.  Reading a book, and seeing it on a big screen are different things, just in my opinion.

Quoting AddieTheMommy:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwinSoccerMom
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

The Common Sense Media website (http://www.commonsensemedia.org//) does a really  good non-opionated job of reviewing movies, music, games, etc. They address most of the points that parents have questions about.  Our kids will even look something up on there before they ask to see/buy something.  I would check that out.  Right at the moment they do not have the full review up for this movie. They indicate to come back on March 22 for the full review.

But truthfully my thoughts are if you were comfortable with her reading the books knowing that they are pretty intense in the violence department, why are you hesitating letting her watch the movie?

As for what the director said my take is that he is not going to show or add violence just for the sake of being violent and "exciting" but only if it is part of the story already - which is quite a bit.

fineyouguyswin
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I'm not sure what this movie is about but if you don't feel comfortable then don't let her watch it.

Barabell
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I read the book, and it is so good that I've been encouraging my son to read it. He just started it last week. I'm planning on going to the movie with him.

We aren't very strict on media though in our house. Both my husband and I grew up in uncensored households, and we both grew into responsible adults. When our son was younger, we would keep things age appropriate, but we're pretty flexible now. The main thing I censor now is anything that might make drugs look appealing, and I don't think that's the case with this movie at all. So going to a PG13 movie really wouldn't be an issue for us at all.

princessputter
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM

You allowed her to read the books... I dont doubt they will be leaving things out in the movie .. they usually do.... I`d let her watch it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN