Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age is apprpriate to have the Talk with your children

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

Ok.....I have ab 8 yr old and a 10yr old.  My 10 yr old has advised us the he has a girlfriend, and he has told me that they hug and kiss too...OMG!!  At what age is the right time for the ever dreaded sex talk??  if we talk to the 10 yr old, should we include the 8yr old too?? 

Please help...lol

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/TallChic/Siggys/sherry.gif
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
3 moms liked this

I am going to assume that your boys already know the proper names for their all of their body parts, if they don't please begin there.  Don't forget to cover good touch/bad touch if that hasn't been covered.  I am also going to assume that you have discussed puberity, body odor, body hair, physical changes in their bodies, masturbation, and wet dreams.  If you haven't, please cover this with both of them as well.  Now after all of that is covered, I would ask both of them what they already know about sex and take it from there.  Be honest and use proper terms for everything, if you aren't sure what something is called look it up.  Also refrain from using myths like the stork, cabbage patch, etc.  Stick to the facts and be sure to let them know that they should come to you if they ever have any questions.  Being open and honest with them now will let them know that they can trust you to be truthful with them in the future and they will continue to come to you for advice.

fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would include both and now sounds great! lol

Nibbles
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Thanks ladies.....I will gather all information and the this weekend, we can talk to the kiddos

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/TallChic/Siggys/sherry.gif
gal409
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I have to do the same  but keep putting it off  ughh

scarngwife
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I just had to do this as well.  Upon starting the conversation I found out my MIL had already done it, I was heated to say the least.  At least I know my DD knows what is going on and she is not afraid to come to me.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I started at 3yrs of age when each started asking questions.  There is never a really a set age, just a a continued conversation.  But the later you wait the more they will hear from friends and school and may not be correct, believe me from how it happened with myself when I was growing up.

Saille717
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My son and I started the talk when he was 8.  We covered a little bit here and a little bit there, it wasn't one talk it was a conversation that spread out over the years.  I also got a book to help me, the most recent edition of a book called The 'What's Happening To My Body' Book For Boys.  There's one for girls, also.  It covers EVERYTHING.  Hubby swore he learned from it!  lol  Reading it helped me compose my thoughts on where to start and what to address, and over the years the kiddo has had it as a resource when he wanted information he wasn't always comfortable asking me about.  

At first I was horribly a terribly uncomfortable to discuss anything remotely sexual.  It's been three years since those first conversations and though it's not the most comfortable thing we discuss, the kiddo and I can have very frank discussions, I can answer his questions, and there isn't anything we can't talk about.  

good luck!!

squeekers
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM

4th grade is a good start age, since it is when they teach sex education in elementary school. ask the teachers what is taught and use that as a spring board to continue to conversations.

anime.princess
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM

DO IT NOW!

I had the talk with my little sister last year (she was a month shy of turning seven).  

littleacorn
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Same here
Quoting momto3infl:

I started at 3yrs of age when each started asking questions.  There is never a really a set age, just a a continued conversation.  But the later you wait the more they will hear from friends and school and may not be correct, believe me from how it happened with myself when I was growing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)