Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 693 Replies
2 moms liked this

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fineyouguyswin
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM
4 moms liked this
Yep, we do :0) I believe in a god but we don't teach the kids any religion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Stacy on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM
9 moms liked this
Hmmm... These were originally pagan holidays. As a Christian, I would find it hard to raise kids in home where they were taught 2 different views, but I would hope that my husband or I would not say things like this to each other. What you celebrate is a personal choice, not his.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM
24 moms liked this

Plenty of people celebrate both of those days without any religion what so ever.  Santa and the Easter Bunny have absolutely nothing to do with religion in the least.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM
20 moms liked this

Quoting LisaMarie27:

Wow..
I'm sorry you don't believe in god.. And I'm even more sorry you're teaching your kids the same belief.. May I ask why you believe there's no god?

To answer your question, growing up as a kid we celebrated Christmas with Santa and Easter with the Easter bunny. I never knew the true meaning of either until I became an adult and started regularly attending church. I've learned and experienced a ton.. We still celebrate with Santa and the bunny but my kids know the true meaning of both holidays now..

I'm not sure why you feel sorry for me.  I'm quite happy and live a pretty moral and normal life....but without a god to believe in.  I just don't feel there is a spiritual being that is a creator, ruler, or determines our outcomes. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, we celebrate in a secular way. My husband doesn't care for organized religion, and I never grew up going to church. When my son became a tween, I did offer to take him to church and/or bible study, but he showed no interest in organized religion either.

Despite that, we still celebrate Christmas and Easter in our house. I do explain to my son what the religious significant behind the holiday, but we do not go to church to celebrate it on those holidays.

auroragold
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM
9 moms liked this

Heck - the traditions around these "religious" celebrations predate Christianity and Jesus Christ to begin with!

I'm perfectly okay with however anyone wants to recognize or NOT recognize those days

auroragold
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting LisaMarie27:

Wow..
I'm sorry you don't believe in god.. And I'm even more sorry you're teaching your kids the same belief.. May I ask why you believe there's no god?

To answer your question, growing up as a kid we celebrated Christmas with Santa and Easter with the Easter bunny. I never knew the true meaning of either until I became an adult and started regularly attending church. I've learned and experienced a ton.. We still celebrate with Santa and the bunny but my kids know the true meaning of both holidays now..

I'm not sure why you feel sorry for me.  I'm quite happy and live a pretty moral and normal life....but without a god to believe in.  I just don't feel there is a spiritual being that is a creator, ruler, or determines our outcomes. 

clapping

chrissie3
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am part Jewish and part Christian, and we celebrate Jewish and Christian holidays (i.e. we celebrate Easter, Hannukah, Christmas, Rosh Hashanah, etc.)

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting psych_mom:

Hmmm... These were originally pagan holidays. As a Christian, I would find it hard to raise kids in home where they were taught 2 different views, but I would hope that my husband or I would not say things like this to each other. What you celebrate is a personal choice, not his.

It wouldn't be tough if he wasn't such a butthead about it.  I don't mind at all if they are introduced to different religions or talked about God as long as he was just as understanding of what I teach them about my life without a God. 

momma0ffive
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM
37 moms liked this

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)