Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
praisinghim2day
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Personally, I think Athiests who celebrate but don't believe are having their cake and eating it too. IMO, it's not right.  You can start your own traditions on days other than Christian holidays. 

emilyrosenj
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Easter is not a Christian Holiday.  We celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus on the Sunday after Good Friday, in our church we mostly refer to it as Resurrection Sunday.  So yes Easter can be celebrated without religion.  Christmas is NOT the actual day that Jesus was born.  It's the day that we recognize His birth.  So if you choose you can remove the religion out of that as well.  Many of the traditions of both holidays originated in pagan practices, however, many of the pagan practices originated with early holy teachings and just branched off to add other beliefs.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM
5 moms liked this
Have you ever researched the origins of either holiday?

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Personally, I think Athiests who celebrate but don't believe are having their cake and eating it too. IMO, it's not right.  You can start your own traditions on days other than Christian holidays. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cara5
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM
4 moms liked this

I think the issue here is your husband being a jerk, not celebrating holidays.  We are a Jewish/Indigenous/Atheist household and we do Easter baskets because its fun, and for no other reason. 

rinaann
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
4 moms liked this

they arent just christian holidays

they were originally pagan holidays, before Christianity was even started

Quoting praisinghim2day:

psych_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM
6 moms liked this
The holidays you are using as examples from other religions have always been holidays for those religions. Christians stole holidays from pagans and now find it offensive if others celebrate that aren't Christians. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Quoting momma0ffive:

No i think those other holidays should be celebrated.  those events had a significant impact on our history as a country. and other countries as well they should be celebrated.  but a religous holiday is just that a religous holiday.  Do you go around celebrating chanukkah or kwanza or any other religous holiday.....probably not.  so why celebrate the others? you are clebrating a family tradition that you said you dont believe in..... be true to your beliefs, you dont believe in god or jesus you should not clebrate the holiday that celebrate that.  yes i believe people who celebrate these holidays are being disrespectful to those who are religous.  if its family you are celebrating then do it on your own day..... dont disregard your beliefs to be able to celebrate life on religous holidays.

Quoting M4LG5:

But Im not celebrating the religious aspect...I'm celebrating my family tradition and Santa Claus and the Easter bunny is part if it.

As for different beliefs, I am teaching my kids about all kinds of religions and what there peers believe in. Our school district is one if the most diverse in the nation so they are exposed to a lot of holidays from other cultures but celebrate it and learn it at school.

So....Martin Luther king Jr day....if we are not black, we shouldn't celebrate. Since I'm only half Mexican, I could only celebrate cesar chavez day for half the day? I was never in the military...so I cannot celebrate veteran's day?

I believe that a holiday is a holiday....some people celebrate it religiously and some do not. Some celebrate with different family traditions then others but all are ok.

So, the millions of .people that are not catholic or Christian that bring there kids Easter baskets are wrong?

Quoting momma0ffive:

This was not a question if what santa or the easter bunny has to do with the holiday, it was about wether aetheist should celebrate, those holidays. I'm just saying if you are a self proclaimed aetheist isn't it hypocritical of your self to celebrate the holidays that represent the birth and the death of gods son? There is no question about wht your kids do...... Because u n your husband unfortunately dont agree on this, so your children have no choice but to learn about both your beliefs... Byt someone as yourself who is an aetheist should be just that and not partake in religious holidays.... Create another for tou to celebrate love, family and traditions..... The irony in this baffles me....

Quoting M4LG5:

So....no Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or a Christmas tree for my children because I don't believe in god though I'm sure none of these have anything to do with god.

I did ask....but to call me out as a hypocrite is not cool.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Well, I'm not celebrating the birth of christ when I celebrate Christmas.  I celebrate family, the spirit of giving, the traditions of my family, generosity, love, etc. 

Same with Easter.  I never tell my kids or anyone that I celebrate the birth of christ when i don't believe so I'm not a hypocrite in the way.  I celebrate what I mentioned above so....i'm not a hypocrite.

im sorry you can tell your self what ever you want and believe what you want........ but when you break it down.  you are a hypocirte.  whether you change "your" reason for celebrating, the truth of the matter is you are celebrating a religious holiday whether you acknowledge it or not.  and if you are celebrating it people will consider it celebrating.  they most likely are not going to think you are an aethist if you celebrate religious holidays.  you asked what we thought and this is how i feel.  i think your husband is right if you dont believe in God then you shouldnt celebrate those religious type holidays. point blank

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
praisinghim2day
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I don't need to research, and I really don't care to hear about your "research".  I celebrate according to my faith.  This has been a hot topic with Halloween as well.  I believe what counts is what's in your heart.  Jesus is the center of those holidays for me and my family.  With Christmas, we make a birthday cake for Jesus to add to our celebration of our Savior.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

psych_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Well, I am a Christian and to be honest I have gotten to where I don't want to celebrate a lot of these holidays because they don't focus on what I feel they should focus on, but I believe that we should also realize that when we judge another for celebrating something that was not a Christian holiday in the first place that we are not completely in the right either. We are not showing God's love by getting attitudes with them or acting like we own the exclusive rights to Christmas or Easter. You never know what day someone might say or do something to change their mind about God and it may be when they are taking part in a celebration on one of these particular days.

Quoting praisinghim2day:

I don't need to research, and I really don't care to hear about your "research".  I celebrate according to my faith.  This has been a hot topic with Halloween as well.  I believe what counts is what's in your heart.  Jesus is the center of those holidays for me and my family.  With Christmas, we make a birthday cake for Jesus to add to our celebration of our Savior.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

psych_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM
12 moms liked this

As a Christian I have to say that I am appalled at some of the other responses I have read in this thread from other Christians. Responses that are full of judgment and hostility. This is one of the reasons that people turn away from God and choose not to believe in the first place. I am sorry that the poster had to be called names and put up with this. The Bible I read tells me to show all people the love of God and to not judge them.

We must remember that Christianity never had any holidays- the Bible never gives us any. We just took certain days because there were certain people in the early organization of Christianity that wanted to be more appealing to pagans. If anything we should look at getting back to the true reasons that Christian celebrate and look at leaving the pagan traditions behind ourselves.

praisinghim2day
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

The holidays are what you make them.  If YOU focus on the what is supposed to be focused on, then it is celebrated in your home the way it was intended.  You don't have to follow the crowd and make it about something else. 

I'm not judging.  I gave her my opinion as she asked for.  No attitude. Never said Christians had exclusive rights. Nor did I say anything about changing her mind.  I was straight and to the point when giving my opinion. I just feel it's hypocritical.  Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Quoting psych_mom:

Well, I am a Christian and to be honest I have gotten to where I don't want to celebrate a lot of these holidays because they don't focus on what I feel they should focus on, but I believe that we should also realize that when we judge another for celebrating something that was not a Christian holiday in the first place that we are not completely in the right either. We are not showing God's love by getting attitudes with them or acting like we own the exclusive rights to Christmas or Easter. You never know what day someone might say or do something to change their mind about God and it may be when they are taking part in a celebration on one of these particular days.

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN