Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (691-693):
Lippyida
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Hello, I'm with you in this, I too have always celebrated Easter, and always in a non religious god believing way, and have and will continue to do so with my son, who is two.  As children my sister and I were taught about nature and the creation of life was by evolution, not a chap or chapess sitting upon high! My husband has no godly beliefs, so that makes it easier to teach our son about celebrations like Easter and Christmas. (Which we have always celebrated in a non religious way) I came on here today, to see what others are teaching their children on the subject, and how they are approaching it.  And have to say, I'm finding the so called Christians, to be the least accepting of others beliefs and ways of life, which is very unsettling.  Anyway, I could go on for ages about this, but I have cup of tea, and I'm determined not to let this one go cold! :)

I realise this is an old post I'm replying to, but this parenting malarkey is relatively new to me. 

VickyJoJo
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

This is our viewpoint as well. 

Quoting Barabell:

Yes, we celebrate in a secular way. My husband doesn't care for organized religion, and I never grew up going to church. When my son became a tween, I did offer to take him to church and/or bible study, but he showed no interest in organized religion either.

Despite that, we still celebrate Christmas and Easter in our house. I do explain to my son what the religious significant behind the holiday, but we do not go to church to celebrate it on those holidays.

jojo_star
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Of course. We celebrate both and we aren't religious, our children aren't religious and we didn't raise them in any faith. They know the many different meanings behind the various holidays, they know both the Pagan (the original Easter and Christmas meanings) and the Christian versions of them, but both holidays are really for us just time to be together as a family and celebrate spring or love, depending. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)