Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:11 PM
14 moms liked this

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Well, I'm not celebrating the birth of christ when I celebrate Christmas.  I celebrate family, the spirit of giving, the traditions of my family, generosity, love, etc. 

Same with Easter.  I never tell my kids or anyone that I celebrate the birth of christ when i don't believe so I'm not a hypocrite in the way.  I celebrate what I mentioned above so....i'm not a hypocrite.

momma0ffive
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Well, I'm not celebrating the birth of christ when I celebrate Christmas.  I celebrate family, the spirit of giving, the traditions of my family, generosity, love, etc. 

Same with Easter.  I never tell my kids or anyone that I celebrate the birth of christ when i don't believe so I'm not a hypocrite in the way.  I celebrate what I mentioned above so....i'm not a hypocrite.

im sorry you can tell your self what ever you want and believe what you want........ but when you break it down.  you are a hypocirte.  whether you change "your" reason for celebrating, the truth of the matter is you are celebrating a religious holiday whether you acknowledge it or not.  and if you are celebrating it people will consider it celebrating.  they most likely are not going to think you are an aethist if you celebrate religious holidays.  you asked what we thought and this is how i feel.  i think your husband is right if you dont believe in God then you shouldnt celebrate those religious type holidays. point blank

kmrtigger
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

Plenty of people celebrate both of those days without any religion what so ever.  Santa and the Easter Bunny have absolutely nothing to do with religion in the least.

I am stealing your reply b/c it's what I was gonna type too!

rinaann
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM
3 moms liked this

yes i celebrate them without religion

easter is about candy 

and chrismas is about gifts and family

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM
5 moms liked this
So....no Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or a Christmas tree for my children because I don't believe in god though I'm sure none of these have anything to do with god.

I did ask....but to call me out as a hypocrite is not cool.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

im sorry you can tell your self what ever you want and believe what you want........ but when you break it down.  you are a hypocirte.  whether you change "your" reason for celebrating, the truth of the matter is you are celebrating a religious holiday whether you acknowledge it or not.  and if you are celebrating it people will consider it celebrating.  they most likely are not going to think you are an aethist if you celebrate religious holidays.  you asked what we thought and this is how i feel.  i think your husband is right if you dont believe in God then you shouldnt celebrate those religious type holidays. point blank

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM
5 moms liked this

Just a little FYI, I have a very good friend whose husband is Jewish and she doesn't practice any religion.  The Jewish husband is the one that loves to celebrate Christmas and goes completely overboard with decorations both inside and outside of their house.  They have a Christmas tree, plenty of Santas, and lights on the outside of their house to rival the Griswalds.  As a Jew, he obviously doesn't believe in Jesus so he obviously isn't celebrating his birth when he celebrates Christmas.

karisma22
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, they can.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM
18 moms liked this
Actually, Christmas and Easter were pagan holidays to begin with. They were adopted into Christianity to make it more appealing to pagans in the early beginnings of the spread of Christianity, before this there were no set days to celebrate Jesus's birth or resurrection.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwinSoccerMom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM
6 moms liked this

I am Christian and celebrate these holidays for both their religious and secular meanings.  The secular for the same reasons that you mentioned.  From what you have written in how you handle it with your children it does not sound to me like you are being a hypocrite.  You don't believe in the religous significance behind them and you make that very clear.  There is no reason why you can't celebrate both of these holidays for the purely secular meanings attached to them.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM
9 moms liked this
You're only a hypocrite when you celebrate the religious aspects that you don't believe in. You are celebrating the commercial aspects of the holidays... If anything I would say that when we Christians celebrate these aspects of the holidays it makes us the hypocrites.

Quoting M4LG5:

So....no Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or a Christmas tree for my children because I don't believe in god though I'm sure none of these have anything to do with god.

I did ask....but to call me out as a hypocrite is not cool.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN