Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM
2 moms liked this

If someone is a member of a family that is religious, I don't find it wrong for them to celebrate with that family, or if someone wants to have a gift giving thing family day about santa, I don't care, but I do find it disrespectful for someone to celebrate actual Easter or Christmas if they are not Christians, they are very important holy days to us with very important spiritual serious meanings and like people using it simply for the presents and eggs. We don't celebrate Hannukah just so my kids can get eight nights of gifts and wont miss out on that stuff because I would feel disrespectful, since we don't follow the religious meaning behind it. Seems like exploitation.

momma0ffive
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this
This was not a question if what santa or the easter bunny has to do with the holiday, it was about wether aetheist should celebrate, those holidays. I'm just saying if you are a self proclaimed aetheist isn't it hypocritical of your self to celebrate the holidays that represent the birth and the death of gods son? There is no question about wht your kids do...... Because u n your husband unfortunately dont agree on this, so your children have no choice but to learn about both your beliefs... Byt someone as yourself who is an aetheist should be just that and not partake in religious holidays.... Create another for tou to celebrate love, family and traditions..... The irony in this baffles me....

Quoting M4LG5:

So....no Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or a Christmas tree for my children because I don't believe in god though I'm sure none of these have anything to do with god.

I did ask....but to call me out as a hypocrite is not cool.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Well, I'm not celebrating the birth of christ when I celebrate Christmas.  I celebrate family, the spirit of giving, the traditions of my family, generosity, love, etc. 

Same with Easter.  I never tell my kids or anyone that I celebrate the birth of christ when i don't believe so I'm not a hypocrite in the way.  I celebrate what I mentioned above so....i'm not a hypocrite.

im sorry you can tell your self what ever you want and believe what you want........ but when you break it down.  you are a hypocirte.  whether you change "your" reason for celebrating, the truth of the matter is you are celebrating a religious holiday whether you acknowledge it or not.  and if you are celebrating it people will consider it celebrating.  they most likely are not going to think you are an aethist if you celebrate religious holidays.  you asked what we thought and this is how i feel.  i think your husband is right if you dont believe in God then you shouldnt celebrate those religious type holidays. point blank

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM
9 moms liked this
But Im not celebrating the religious aspect...I'm celebrating my family tradition and Santa Claus and the Easter bunny is part if it.

As for different beliefs, I am teaching my kids about all kinds of religions and what there peers believe in. Our school district is one if the most diverse in the nation so they are exposed to a lot of holidays from other cultures but celebrate it and learn it at school.

So....Martin Luther king Jr day....if we are not black, we shouldn't celebrate. Since I'm only half Mexican, I could only celebrate cesar chavez day for half the day? I was never in the military...so I cannot celebrate veteran's day?

I believe that a holiday is a holiday....some people celebrate it religiously and some do not. Some celebrate with different family traditions then others but all are ok.

So, the millions of .people that are not catholic or Christian that bring there kids Easter baskets are wrong?

Quoting momma0ffive:

This was not a question if what santa or the easter bunny has to do with the holiday, it was about wether aetheist should celebrate, those holidays. I'm just saying if you are a self proclaimed aetheist isn't it hypocritical of your self to celebrate the holidays that represent the birth and the death of gods son? There is no question about wht your kids do...... Because u n your husband unfortunately dont agree on this, so your children have no choice but to learn about both your beliefs... Byt someone as yourself who is an aetheist should be just that and not partake in religious holidays.... Create another for tou to celebrate love, family and traditions..... The irony in this baffles me....

Quoting M4LG5:

So....no Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or a Christmas tree for my children because I don't believe in god though I'm sure none of these have anything to do with god.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Well, I'm not celebrating the birth of christ when I celebrate Christmas.  I celebrate family, the spirit of giving, the traditions of my family, generosity, love, etc. 

Same with Easter.  I never tell my kids or anyone that I celebrate the birth of christ when i don't believe so I'm not a hypocrite in the way.  I celebrate what I mentioned above so....i'm not a hypocrite.

im sorry you can tell your self what ever you want and believe what you want........ but when you break it down.  you are a hypocirte.  whether you change "your" reason for celebrating, the truth of the matter is you are celebrating a religious holiday whether you acknowledge it or not.  and if you are celebrating it people will consider it celebrating.  they most likely are not going to think you are an aethist if you celebrate religious holidays.  you asked what we thought and this is how i feel.  i think your husband is right if you dont believe in God then you shouldnt celebrate those religious type holidays. point blank

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:07 AM

No i think those other holidays should be celebrated.  those events had a significant impact on our history as a country. and other countries as well they should be celebrated.  but a religous holiday is just that a religous holiday.  Do you go around celebrating chanukkah or kwanza or any other religous holiday.....probably not.  so why celebrate the others? you are clebrating a family tradition that you said you dont believe in..... be true to your beliefs, you dont believe in god or jesus you should not clebrate the holiday that celebrate that.  yes i believe people who celebrate these holidays are being disrespectful to those who are religous.  if its family you are celebrating then do it on your own day..... dont disregard your beliefs to be able to celebrate life on religous holidays.

Quoting M4LG5:

But Im not celebrating the religious aspect...I'm celebrating my family tradition and Santa Claus and the Easter bunny is part if it.

As for different beliefs, I am teaching my kids about all kinds of religions and what there peers believe in. Our school district is one if the most diverse in the nation so they are exposed to a lot of holidays from other cultures but celebrate it and learn it at school.

So....Martin Luther king Jr day....if we are not black, we shouldn't celebrate. Since I'm only half Mexican, I could only celebrate cesar chavez day for half the day? I was never in the military...so I cannot celebrate veteran's day?

I believe that a holiday is a holiday....some people celebrate it religiously and some do not. Some celebrate with different family traditions then others but all are ok.

So, the millions of .people that are not catholic or Christian that bring there kids Easter baskets are wrong?

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

brandi185
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM
3 moms liked this

i personally do not like organized religion but believe there is something bigger than me out there and my dh is more jewish.  we both grew up lutheran.  we have recently started taking our kids to church.  so we are taking our kids to a lutheran church.  it's a pretty mild way to introduce them to religion and they're hearing from someone other than my dh and i.  our boys are 10 and 8 and are very interested in god and all.  before taking them to church we got a kids dvd set called something like heroes of the bible.  my dh wants to take the kids to a jewish service eventually and i'm fine with that.  as i grew up i was given the freedom to make my own decision on religion.  i want my kids to do the same.

we celebrate christmas and easter without religion.  we also talk to our kids about where these holidays originated and why and how they've evolved over time.  they have friends that celebrate religiously so of course they have questions.  they both still believe in santa and the easter bunny.  

LadyFreeRider
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
7 moms liked this
Altho I do understand what you are saying & somewhat agree, I must point out that other holy days for other religions are not commercialized the way Easter & Christmas are. For those (like you) that are all about the religious view when celebrating I understand how disrespected you would feel. Yet we must also aknowledge the fact that, for many people, those days are not strictly relgious days, because they have been commercialized for so long that it has become more of a national tradition for anyone to join in no matter their religon. I dont see other holidays such as Hannaka promoted like Christmas or Easter. I truly believe that it comes down to personal preference of HOW they wish to celebrate certain days. Yes, it feels wrong to celebrate Christmas just for presents, BUT can you honestly say from your heart that it is wrong to celebrate it for family, love, & joy of being together? Can you honestly say that it is wrong to celebrate Easter when it is being celebrated for a new spring season?

Quoting LucyHarper:

If someone is a member of a family that is religious, I don't find it wrong for them to celebrate with that family, or if someone wants to have a gift giving thing family day about santa, I don't care, but I do find it disrespectful for someone to celebrate actual Easter or Christmas if they are not Christians, they are very important holy days to us with very important spiritual serious meanings and like people using it simply for the presents and eggs. We don't celebrate Hannukah just so my kids can get eight nights of gifts and wont miss out on that stuff because I would feel disrespectful, since we don't follow the religious meaning behind it. Seems like exploitation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zombimomma
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM
6 moms liked this

Celebrate however you feel is best for you and your family. In our home, we celebrate the seasonal holidays, and discuss the various ways people around the world celebrate (Christian, Pagan, Buddhist, Jewish, Orthodox, etc). Christmas and Easter are celebrated here as seasonal festivals. The tree, gift giving, yuletide feasts, lights, and are all pre-Christian practices. The egg and the hare are symbols of the earth's fertility and growth of new life, and also pre-Christian. I have studied various spiritual faiths, and DH was raised by a Buddhist mother and Irish Protestant father. We both agree that spiritual faith is a deeply personal thing, and while we have respect for those who practice a religion,  we wish for our children to find their own path in their own time.

jaxmybaby
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I've always celebrated both (Christmas and Easter) without it having anything to do with religion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellasdesserts
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

We're Jewish, and celebrated both, strictly for the gifts and candy.  My parents did this so we wouldn't feel left out from the rest of the kids in the neighborhood.  We are doing this with our dd as well. 

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM
13 moms liked this

Here is the biggest problem with your arguement, Christmas and Easter were Pagan holidays BEFORE they were Christian holidays.  So actually it is the Christians who jumped on the pagan bandwagon and changed the pagan holidays to suit their Christian beliefs.  Before you jump down my throat over this, you need to know that I am a Christian, a Catholic to be exact and I happen to be a Catechist, teacher of the Catholic Religion.  So I do celebrate the religious holidays for both religious and pagan reasons and I find nothing wrong with someone celebrating them for their original pagan intentions.

Quoting momma0ffive:

No i think those other holidays should be celebrated.  those events had a significant impact on our history as a country. and other countries as well they should be celebrated.  but a religous holiday is just that a religous holiday.  Do you go around celebrating chanukkah or kwanza or any other religous holiday.....probably not.  so why celebrate the others? you are clebrating a family tradition that you said you dont believe in..... be true to your beliefs, you dont believe in god or jesus you should not clebrate the holiday that celebrate that.  yes i believe people who celebrate these holidays are being disrespectful to those who are religous.  if its family you are celebrating then do it on your own day..... dont disregard your beliefs to be able to celebrate life on religous holidays.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

I'm feeling wicked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)