Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (41-50):
emilyrosenj
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Very wise words.  And I always find the research helpful, it helps me to stand up for what I believe in if I know what others believe in or don't.

Quoting psych_mom:

Well, I am a Christian and to be honest I have gotten to where I don't want to celebrate a lot of these holidays because they don't focus on what I feel they should focus on, but I believe that we should also realize that when we judge another for celebrating something that was not a Christian holiday in the first place that we are not completely in the right either. We are not showing God's love by getting attitudes with them or acting like we own the exclusive rights to Christmas or Easter. You never know what day someone might say or do something to change their mind about God and it may be when they are taking part in a celebration on one of these particular days.

Quoting praisinghim2day:

I don't need to research, and I really don't care to hear about your "research".  I celebrate according to my faith.  This has been a hot topic with Halloween as well.  I believe what counts is what's in your heart.  Jesus is the center of those holidays for me and my family.  With Christmas, we make a birthday cake for Jesus to add to our celebration of our Savior.

Margaret
blooize376
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Your version of the true meaning in your religion. I'm pagan and have a very different view. And holidays are so commercialized now to take religion out of the day is quite easy. My kids have been taught the world diversity of religions from as long as I can remember. I want them to follow what feels good in their hearts and so far so good. The more a child knows about diversity the more accepting of an adult they will be and not judge or feel bad for someone else believing something different. I do have to ask why would u feel bad for someone having a different belief.

Quoting LisaMarie27:

Wow..

I'm sorry you don't believe in god.. And I'm even more sorry you're teaching your kids the same belief.. May I ask why you believe there's no god?

To answer your question, growing up as a kid we celebrated Christmas with Santa and Easter with the Easter bunny. I never knew the true meaning of either until I became an adult and started regularly attending church. I've learned and experienced a ton.. We still celebrate with Santa and the bunny but my kids know the true meaning of both holidays now..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Well, in my family we are breaking away from the norms and making it about something else. My response wasn't just to you. It was to a lot of the other Christians here that also responded. That is why I made my other post after I responded to you. We are not giving our kids presents this year- we are going to take them on a trip or something after Christmas and we actually celebrate on a different day than Dec 25 because that is a pagan holiday and I don't want to celebrate Christ's birth on a pagan holiday that some church person way back when decided on. This Easter, there are no baskets. They are getting a puppy in June or July as a belated gift- what better way to celebrate Jesus's gift of eternal life than with a new life?

Quoting praisinghim2day:

The holidays are what you make them.  If YOU focus on the what is supposed to be focused on, then it is celebrated in your home the way it was intended.  You don't have to follow the crowd and make it about something else. 

I'm not judging.  I gave her my opinion as she asked for.  No attitude. Never said Christians had exclusive rights. Nor did I say anything about changing her mind.  I was straight and to the point when giving my opinion. I just feel it's hypocritical.  Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Quoting psych_mom:

Well, I am a Christian and to be honest I have gotten to where I don't want to celebrate a lot of these holidays because they don't focus on what I feel they should focus on, but I believe that we should also realize that when we judge another for celebrating something that was not a Christian holiday in the first place that we are not completely in the right either. We are not showing God's love by getting attitudes with them or acting like we own the exclusive rights to Christmas or Easter. You never know what day someone might say or do something to change their mind about God and it may be when they are taking part in a celebration on one of these particular days.

Quoting praisinghim2day:

I don't need to research, and I really don't care to hear about your "research".  I celebrate according to my faith.  This has been a hot topic with Halloween as well.  I believe what counts is what's in your heart.  Jesus is the center of those holidays for me and my family.  With Christmas, we make a birthday cake for Jesus to add to our celebration of our Savior.

Quoting psych_mom:

Have you ever researched the origins of either holiday?

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Personally, I think Athiests who celebrate but don't believe are having their cake and eating it too. IMO, it's not right.  You can start your own traditions on days other than Christian holidays. 

DeniseGibson
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Yes

praisinghim2day
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

If these holidays really are celebrated on pagan days, does that mean you feel it's a Pagan day?  Or is Christ the center of your holiday?  I don't care what supposed roots these particular days have, as long as I keep Christ the center of them, I'm not going to hell.  I'm not celebrating pagan beliefs.  Do your thing.  I really don't care.  She asked for an opinion and I gave it.  If you weren't aiming this directly at me; why make me look like the target by quoting my response in general?  Where's the need for a quote tree at all?  Make your own response.

Quoting psych_mom:

Well, in my family we are breaking away from the norms and making it about something else. My response wasn't just to you. It was to a lot of the other Christians here that also responded. That is why I made my other post after I responded to you. We are not giving our kids presents this year- we are going to take them on a trip or something after Christmas and we actually celebrate on a different day than Dec 25 because that is a pagan holiday and I don't want to celebrate Christ's birth on a pagan holiday that some church person way back when decided on. This Easter, there are no baskets. They are getting a puppy in June or July as a belated gift- what better way to celebrate Jesus's gift of eternal life than with a new life?

Quoting praisinghim2day:

The holidays are what you make them.  If YOU focus on the what is supposed to be focused on, then it is celebrated in your home the way it was intended.  You don't have to follow the crowd and make it about something else. 

I'm not judging.  I gave her my opinion as she asked for.  No attitude. Never said Christians had exclusive rights. Nor did I say anything about changing her mind.  I was straight and to the point when giving my opinion. I just feel it's hypocritical.  Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Personally, I think Athiests who celebrate but don't believe are having their cake and eating it too. IMO, it's not right.  You can start your own traditions on days other than Christian holidays. 

Barabell
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

clapping

Quoting psych_mom:

As a Christian I have to say that I am appalled at some of the other responses I have read in this thread from other Christians. Responses that are full of judgment and hostility. This is one of the reasons that people turn away from God and choose not to believe in the first place. I am sorry that the poster had to be called names and put up with this. The Bible I read tells me to show all people the love of God and to not judge them.

We must remember that Christianity never had any holidays- the Bible never gives us any. We just took certain days because there were certain people in the early organization of Christianity that wanted to be more appealing to pagans. If anything we should look at getting back to the true reasons that Christian celebrate and look at leaving the pagan traditions behind ourselves.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel that the way that the days are celebrates- Christmas tree, Easter bunny and eggs are what are pagan in nature. The days themselves can be whatever we want them to be, just as any other day can be. If we want to celebrate Easter it should technically be celebrated the day after the Jewish passover, not before because Jesus resurrected after, but Easter is on the 8th of this year and Passover ends on the 14th.

Quoting praisinghim2day:

If these holidays really are celebrated on pagan days, does that mean you feel it's a Pagan day?  Or is Christ the center of your holiday?  I don't care what supposed roots these particular days have, as long as I keep Christ the center of them, I'm not going to hell.  I'm not celebrating pagan beliefs.  Do your thing.  I really don't care.  She asked for an opinion and I gave it.  If you weren't aiming this directly at me; why make me look like the target by quoting my response in general?  Where's the need for a quote tree at all?  Make your own response.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting praisinghim2day:

Wyldbutterfly
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely believe it can be celebrated without religion.

I believe that all beings can live a moral and decent life without following any religion.

With that being said, I believe in God and always have. That does not mean I go to Church on Sundays, because I believe I can pray to God from anywhere. It does not have to be in a church. My husband feels the same way, I'm thankful for that.

Up until this point, has this been a non issue for you and your husband? I would think that would complicate things, coming from two different religions or lack there of.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM
3 moms liked this

It comes to this for me.......everyday, everybody will take life a different way and celebrate each day (holiday or not) differently.  I think that you, in YOUR home, can celebrate each day the way YOU want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.  I don't think anyone has a right to judge another person for how they celebrate it.  I'm not hurting you by putting easter baskets out for my kids.  My kids are not hurting you by finding easter eggs.  My family isn't hurting you after we have a nice brunch and play time at the park.  Am i?

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I absolutely believe it can be celebrated without religion.

I believe that all beings can live a moral and decent life without following any religion.

With that being said, I believe in God and always have. That does not mean I go to Church on Sundays, because I believe I can pray to God from anywhere. It does not have to be in a church. My husband feels the same way, I'm thankful for that.

Up until this point, has this been a non issue for you and your husband? I would think that would complicate things, coming from two different religions or lack there of.

No, it hasn't.  I have been the one that has done up Christmas and Easter and any other holiday.  He barely touches it until that day but because we are not doing well in our marriage, it's like he wants something to fire back at me.  In fact, in the past (when we were doing well), he has told the girls  that they were lucky to have a mom that cared so much about Christmas and other holidays.

though he is catholic, he is not practicing and doesn't teach anything at home so, yeah, it has never been an issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN