Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (651-660):
NewMom7775
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I couldn't agree more! Well said.

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM
DH and I are both atheists. We do christmas and Easter for our girls (ages 8 and 4). We just don't bring religion into it. We do Santa and gifts at Christmas and baskets from the Easter bunny for Easter.
MomOfKNH
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally I don't understand why Christians celebreate Christmas on Dec 25th when historical records show that the census didn't occur in the winter, or why they don their houses with holly, and trees, and lights or why the celebrate Easter before Passover, or why the named their holiday after a german goddess of fertility or why the participate in egg hunts, that to me seems pretty hipocritical to celebrate pegan traditions and customs as Christians.

Quoting NewMom7775:

I couldn't agree more! Well said.

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

zeesmuse
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM

There were over 50 pages of responses and I simply put in my 2 cents worth. If you're getting a ton of the same responses, perhaps it's for a good reason. And if you've responded to each and every one, then you have more spare time on your hands than I do.   for the record, I HAVE researched the holiidays. If you don't like the answers you've gotten,  feel free to ignore them or get snarky. Wait. You have already gotten snarky.

Quoting jessi2girls:

You don't see how anyone can celebrate because you haven't bothered to understand the holidays in question. You have no idea what the TRUE history of the holidays are. You are "going through the motions", which isn't celebrating for religious reasons either.. it's celebrating based on tradition.

I swear, a HUGE portion of this post is filled with the same response as yours and I've responded to nearly all of them.. please, continue reading the posts, and understand better, and do some research of your own pertaining to these holidays, and you might gain a better understanding.

Quoting zeesmuse:

If you have openly been teaching your girls about your beliefs, it is only fair to realize that eventually, he's going to teach them his.

personally, I think people who 'go through the motions' for traditions sake are simply 'going through the motions'.... and to keep family happy. As a practicing Christian, I don't see how anyone can 'celebrate' anything they don't believe in. To me Christmas - the birth of Christ and Easter - the celebration of his resurrection - is the reason for the season.

candicefield
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM
I feel sorry for your children. You are just going to confuse them. I can't see how a marriage can work when a couple believes in two different things. How are you ever going to agree on raising your children? It is like a battle between the two of you trying to get the kids to believe in what you do. I can't imagine that is good for them at all. How does your husband currently feel about you teaching them several different things since he wants them to pray?
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM
It's not a battle....I'm teaching them that there are choices in life and all the choices are ok as long as it doesn't mean hurting them.or anyone else.

He feels the same way when I'm teaching them things about non-god and other religions......he may not completely like it because its against his own beliefs but, in themselves, it is about their choices. I love that I'm teaching them that everyone can be happy with whatever they choose to believe or not believe. I just don't get this "confusion" thing you are suggesting. Are you and your husband/partner exactly the same???? No, of course not. His way and your way of doing things in life.....wouldn't that confuse them too if that is the case?

Quoting candicefield:

I feel sorry for your children. You are just going to confuse them. I can't see how a marriage can work when a couple believes in two different things. How are you ever going to agree on raising your children? It is like a battle between the two of you trying to get the kids to believe in what you do. I can't imagine that is good for them at all. How does your husband currently feel about you teaching them several different things since he wants them to pray?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM

You HAVE research the holiday? hmm?   Then you know, that celebrating easter, as a Christian, is a sin? You know that it's actually Pagan in original and tradition? Hmm?

Easter was around long before Christ was even born.  Obviously it was celebrated long before him, and can be celebrated long after his death WITHOUT HIM.

I"M not getting the same responses, this post and the OP is. I'm not the OP, and no, it's not for good reasons. A lot of very ignorant posts, from people who are clearly lacking in knowledge about the histories and cultures and founding religions behind these holidays in question.

To say,"How can you celebrate a holiday you don't believe in" shows your own ignorance or perhaps denial of these holidays.

You want to learn the history I'll be glad to post them after the holidays if you PM me, or feel free to read through the posts.

As for why I read so many.. well, I'm a fast reader, so really didn't take me long to read through a majority of these, although I didn't read passed 300 responses unless I was directly quoted, as I got tired of responded the same responses to people such as yourself. Not that it's really any of your business what I do with my time however.

Quoting zeesmuse:

There were over 50 pages of responses and I simply put in my 2 cents worth. If you're getting a ton of the same responses, perhaps it's for a good reason. And if you've responded to each and every one, then you have more spare time on your hands than I do.   for the record, I HAVE researched the holiidays. If you don't like the answers you've gotten,  feel free to ignore them or get snarky. Wait. You have already gotten snarky.

Quoting jessi2girls:

You don't see how anyone can celebrate because you haven't bothered to understand the holidays in question. You have no idea what the TRUE history of the holidays are. You are "going through the motions", which isn't celebrating for religious reasons either.. it's celebrating based on tradition.

I swear, a HUGE portion of this post is filled with the same response as yours and I've responded to nearly all of them.. please, continue reading the posts, and understand better, and do some research of your own pertaining to these holidays, and you might gain a better understanding.

Quoting zeesmuse:

If you have openly been teaching your girls about your beliefs, it is only fair to realize that eventually, he's going to teach them his.

personally, I think people who 'go through the motions' for traditions sake are simply 'going through the motions'.... and to keep family happy. As a practicing Christian, I don't see how anyone can 'celebrate' anything they don't believe in. To me Christmas - the birth of Christ and Easter - the celebration of his resurrection - is the reason for the season.

kmbphx
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM
No, Easter has the Religion. Spring Day or whatever you want to call it yes. In our house emphasis on Jesus - bunny anal representing spring. Never did pics with the EB. Mom and Dad provide the chocolates and the kids colored the eggs!
Shelby72
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM

In our home, we let the kids celebrate Easter with an easter egg hunt and the easter bunny leaves treats, but we talk about the holidays from religious terms first.  Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, and Easter the crucifixion and resurrection.  My husband believes, but doesn't go to church.  I was raised catholic, but I actually attend an evangelical church.  It's up to others how they want to celebrate those holidays, but I couldn't see celebrating them without teaching my children what I believe in.  I say to each his own.

momma0ffive
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM
You have totally misunderstood me...... U can celebrste whatever you believe.... I sm not saying you or any one else is wrong for wht they believe in, nor did I say easter started as a religious holiday..... I was GIVING MY OPINION TO OP WHEN SHE ASKED IF AN AETHIEST COULD CELEBRATE ALONG SIDE CATHOLICS AT A RELIGOUS CELEBTATION IF SHE DID NOT HAVETHE SAME BELIEFS.

MAYBE U SHOULD LOOK AT YOURSELF BEFORE U START ASSUMING I AM UNEDUCATED. I KNOW IT WAS A FRICKIN PAGAN HOLIDAY!!!! YOU HAVE TAKEN MY OPINION WWWWWWAAAAAYYYYY OUT OF CONTEXT. YOU NEED TO STOP N THINK THE NEXT TIME YOU JUDT START TYPING AWAY WITHOUT READING.....

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

I'm not celebrating something "I don't believe in" because I'm not celebrating what YOU believe in. I'm celebrating what it was before Christianity took it over and changed it's meaning. Which IS fertility and rebirth of life after winter. It wasn't of Christian origin to begin with. 

what would eggs, bunnies, flowers, pastel colors have to do with jesus again? It doesn't, it's the symbols of SPRING and FERTILITY.

Instead of just believing what you have been told by other people. You should do some research before commenting on history you don't know about.

educate yourself.  

Quoting momma0ffive:

So enlighten me what is it about to you?

This is whst is about to me. I dont knoe whst u are talking about misinformed...

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

you honestly think that christmas is about christ's birth? and that easter is about his "resurrection"

you are so misinformed, it's ridiculous to me.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN