Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (661-670):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Ummmmm...I didnt ask that. I asked can people celebrate Easter and Christmas without religion....I didn't say anything about celebrating it with Catholics or anyone else.

Quoting momma0ffive:

You have totally misunderstood me...... U can celebrste whatever you believe.... I sm not saying you or any one else is wrong for wht they believe in, nor did I say easter started as a religious holiday..... I was GIVING MY OPINION TO OP WHEN SHE ASKED IF AN AETHIEST COULD CELEBRATE ALONG SIDE CATHOLICS AT A RELIGOUS CELEBTATION IF SHE DID NOT HAVETHE SAME BELIEFS.

MAYBE U SHOULD LOOK AT YOURSELF BEFORE U START ASSUMING I AM UNEDUCATED. I KNOW IT WAS A FRICKIN PAGAN HOLIDAY!!!! YOU HAVE TAKEN MY OPINION WWWWWWAAAAAYYYYY OUT OF CONTEXT. YOU NEED TO STOP N THINK THE NEXT TIME YOU JUDT START TYPING AWAY WITHOUT READING.....

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

I'm not celebrating something "I don't believe in" because I'm not celebrating what YOU believe in. I'm celebrating what it was before Christianity took it over and changed it's meaning. Which IS fertility and rebirth of life after winter. It wasn't of Christian origin to begin with. 

what would eggs, bunnies, flowers, pastel colors have to do with jesus again? It doesn't, it's the symbols of SPRING and FERTILITY.

Instead of just believing what you have been told by other people. You should do some research before commenting on history you don't know about.

educate yourself.  

Quoting momma0ffive:

So enlighten me what is it about to you?

This is whst is about to me. I dont knoe whst u are talking about misinformed...

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

you honestly think that christmas is about christ's birth? and that easter is about his "resurrection"

you are so misinformed, it's ridiculous to me.

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Um..... Hello yes u did..... U said ur dh was catholic ....right? N even he said y are u going to celebrate? Its not what u believe.... Right? Man you ladies want nothing but drama..... If u dont want peoples opinion then u shouldnt ask..... Just because u didnt like what I had to say, doesnt make me wrong or uneducated or misinformed. I have my beliefs and my own opinions as do u..... I was just sayong how I felt when everyone got sooooo defensive!

Quoting M4LG5:

Ummmmm...I didnt ask that. I asked can people celebrate Easter and Christmas without religion....I didn't say anything about celebrating it with Catholics or anyone else.

Quoting momma0ffive:

You have totally misunderstood me...... U can celebrste whatever you believe.... I sm not saying you or any one else is wrong for wht they believe in, nor did I say easter started as a religious holiday..... I was GIVING MY OPINION TO OP WHEN SHE ASKED IF AN AETHIEST COULD CELEBRATE ALONG SIDE CATHOLICS AT A RELIGOUS CELEBTATION IF SHE DID NOT HAVETHE SAME BELIEFS.

MAYBE U SHOULD LOOK AT YOURSELF BEFORE U START ASSUMING I AM UNEDUCATED. I KNOW IT WAS A FRICKIN PAGAN HOLIDAY!!!! YOU HAVE TAKEN MY OPINION WWWWWWAAAAAYYYYY OUT OF CONTEXT. YOU NEED TO STOP N THINK THE NEXT TIME YOU JUDT START TYPING AWAY WITHOUT READING.....

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

I'm not celebrating something "I don't believe in" because I'm not celebrating what YOU believe in. I'm celebrating what it was before Christianity took it over and changed it's meaning. Which IS fertility and rebirth of life after winter. It wasn't of Christian origin to begin with. 

what would eggs, bunnies, flowers, pastel colors have to do with jesus again? It doesn't, it's the symbols of SPRING and FERTILITY.

Instead of just believing what you have been told by other people. You should do some research before commenting on history you don't know about.

educate yourself.  

Quoting momma0ffive:

This is whst is about to me. I dont knoe whst u are talking about misinformed...

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

you honestly think that christmas is about christ's birth? and that easter is about his "resurrection"

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
That was the background of my story but my question was.can you celebrate it without religion. I don't mind what your answer was.....I minded the comments towards my beliefs.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Um..... Hello yes u did..... U said ur dh was catholic ....right? N even he said y are u going to celebrate? Its not what u believe.... Right? Man you ladies want nothing but drama..... If u dont want peoples opinion then u shouldnt ask..... Just because u didnt like what I had to say, doesnt make me wrong or uneducated or misinformed. I have my beliefs and my own opinions as do u..... I was just sayong how I felt when everyone got sooooo defensive!

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

educate yourself.  

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I neve r said your beliefs wer wrong.... I just felt if dh is celebrsting for one reason(jesus) you should stay true to your beliefs..... Maybe a different celebtation to honor your beliefs.
by dufferent I just mean.... Your own I guess, not at the same time...... This ids not coming out how I want it to sound.....like u have ur pagan celebrations in the am and dhs in the pm..... Or vice versa, im not implying change the day or any thing likethat....lol
Quoting M4LG5:

That was the background of my story but my question was.can you celebrate it without religion. I don't mind what your answer was.....I minded the comments towards my beliefs.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

educate yourself.  

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Ha! Him celebrate Jesus??? Yeah right. He has gone to church 3-4 times since we have been together and has NEVER celebrated these holidays for Jesus.

Between him and I.....I am the one staying true to my beliefs....not him.

Quoting momma0ffive:

I neve r said your beliefs wer wrong.... I just felt if dh is celebrsting for one reason(jesus) you should stay true to your beliefs..... Maybe a different celebtation to honor your beliefs.
by dufferent I just mean.... Your own I guess, not at the same time...... This ids not coming out how I want it to sound.....like u have ur pagan celebrations in the am and dhs in the pm..... Or vice versa, im not implying change the day or any thing likethat....lol

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

educate yourself.  

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Wow sorry to hear that about dh..... But then again it isn't only about going to church.

If you believe in something, truly, thst is the most important thing I think is respecting yourself and practicing what you believe.

I'm sorry for causing any "issues" here. People took my comment out of context and I wasnt trying to offend anyone.

Quoting M4LG5:

Ha! Him celebrate Jesus??? Yeah right. He has gone to church 3-4 times since we have been together and has NEVER celebrated these holidays for Jesus.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

educate yourself.  

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kintop
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

popcorn

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

What it comes down to for most of these posts here is that there is a lack of respect for other people's beliefs.  No one is hurting anyone else or interfering with their beliefs just because it's not the same.  Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Cesar Chavez, etc.....these are not "your" holidays ("your" as in anyone's specific holiday).  If it was to be celebrated specifically, then I'm sure there would be a law or something.

Each day/holiday is celebrated different and there is no wrong or right way to celebrate it except within your family.  Now, it's one thing to have an opionion about how you think the holiday should be celebrated but it's another thing to have so many people on this post judge others, feel sorry for me even, and accuse people of being a hypocrite because of their close-mindedness.  THAT is what people should feel sorry for. 

Quoting momma0ffive:

Wow sorry to hear that about dh..... But then again it isn't only about going to church.

If you believe in something, truly, thst is the most important thing I think is respecting yourself and practicing what you believe.

I'm sorry for causing any "issues" here. People took my comment out of context and I wasnt trying to offend anyone.

Quoting M4LG5:

Stephy187
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Quoting momma0ffive:

OK, all I'm going to say is read the other post that I quoted you in... and I absolutely must say that you are quite judgemental and highly intolerant of other's spiritual beliefs, or did you skip the Sunday School lesson where they taught "judge not lest ye be judged" or "he who is without sin shall cast the first stone".  Anyways, M4LG5, my dh and I have different religious beliefs, he is a devout Christian and I am a devout pagan. I have always celebrated Easter and Christmas even though I feel no Christian obligation to do so, because Easter for me is a celebration of the Earth's reawakening from slumber and Christmas is a celebration of its descent into slumber. My dh is respectful of my views and does not force me to church on these days opting instead to take the kids himself and then bringing them home so that I can share my celebration with them. And for the most part these two holidays have become largely commercialized based on the original pagan rituals so that anyone can celebrate without having any affiliation to either belief system. BTW my uncle was atheist and that never stopped him from handing out presents at Christmas or hiding eggs at Easter and it shouldn't stop you either.

garjain
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

We are Hindus and we are from India. We moved to US around 12 years back. We have 2 kids and we celebrate Christmas and easter without the religious part. Our kids see everyone else doing it and we don't want then to feel left out. We do get together and gifts on Christmas and on Easter we again have a get together and egg hunt for all the kids. The kids have fun and we all have a great time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)