Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can Easter and Christmas be celebrated without religion?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is catholic....not practicing.  I've seen him go to church maybe 3 times since we have been together. Yes, he does believe in God but has never done anything else.

I'm an atheist but still celebrate holidays.  It's not for the religion but for the tradition and family that I know and have created. 

Well, DH suddenly wants the girls to pray before bed and stuff.  I told him (BEFORE we got togethere and got married) that if he is going to teach him his religion and his life with God, then I'm also going to teach them my life without a God along with other religions and spiritualities. 

I have been talking very openly to my girls about why I don't believe in God and how I think differently than others.  He hasn't said much or done much until now (we are having problems in our marriage).

So, he thinks that it's stupid of me to celebrate Christmas and Easter if I don't believe in God.  This morning, I told the girls that the Easter bunny is coming and he said, "I thought you didn't celebrate that."  Ummm....I CELEBRATE it...I just don't celebrate the religion.

So....this could be controversial......do you think Easter and Christmas can be celebrated without religion?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Replies (671-680):
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Honey u are trippin I'm not judging anyone read the rest of my responses..... She asked for OPINIONS.... I gave mine thst is not being judgmental. Just because I dont agree doesnt mean I am judging anyone. I have learned a lot from this post actually. To assume anything else is being judgmental on your behalf. I apologize for confusing you...

Quoting Stephy187:

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

OK, all I'm going to say is read the other post that I quoted you in... and I absolutely must say that you are quite judgemental and highly intolerant of other's spiritual beliefs, or did you skip the Sunday School lesson where they taught "judge not lest ye be judged" or "he who is without sin shall cast the first stone".  Anyways, M4LG5, my dh and I have different religious beliefs, he is a devout Christian and I am a devout pagan. I have always celebrated Easter and Christmas even though I feel no Christian obligation to do so, because Easter for me is a celebration of the Earth's reawakening from slumber and Christmas is a celebration of its descent into slumber. My dh is respectful of my views and does not force me to church on these days opting instead to take the kids himself and then bringing them home so that I can share my celebration with them. And for the most part these two holidays have become largely commercialized based on the original pagan rituals so that anyone can celebrate without having any affiliation to either belief system. BTW my uncle was atheist and that never stopped him from handing out presents at Christmas or hiding eggs at Easter and it shouldn't stop you either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bettyjeanmarino
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Easter Isn't a celebration of Christ otherwise the day would remain the same day. It's a pagan celebration at its roots.
On top of teaching the kids your views explain to them that the story of Jesus occurred in the past. Start with Horus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
One_Awesome_Mom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Yes they can be celebrated without religion. You and DH need to sit down and get this all out what you want the kids to know. If you can't agree then it might be best not to celebrate anything and allow your kids to choose their own beliefs. Allow them to go on the Internet and research on their own. Then when they've made a choice, ask them what they want to celebrate and support each other. 

DH and I believe in God, but that's as far as it goes right now. He works on Sundays so no options to get to church. We celebrate Christmas, but it's for presents but not really from Santa, it's more like it's Christmas you (DS) get presents. Easter wasn't the bunny or about God, we went on an egg hunt. Of course my DS is only 18 months. Doesn't understand anything that we do lol. I think we will be telling him about God, just way later. 

fanci64
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Of course do it every year. Xmas is a time for family to be together . A time for fun and family . A time to enjoy a good meal and catch up with each other. if you look back neither holiday originated from religion anyway, no matter what the Christians say, so if you celebrate them for their original meanings religion has no part in either holiday. Easter is the celebration of spring. So celebrate away and have fun doing it without the constraints of religion.
fanci64
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Quoting momma0ffive:

that's what you believe them to be. That is not what they were originally celebrated for. That is what the Christians made them into. Educate yourself on the actual history instead of just believing what you've been told by some preacher or some book of fairy tales .
MelCarter1223
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Uh still you. Check your grammar. I wouldn't have called you dumb if you weren't saying mean things to others. Don't dish out criticism unless you can handle it yourself.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Honey u better check yourself before u go around calling anyone dumb! Op asked.for opinions n we gabe them.... There is no right or wrong just what we believe.

Santa n the bunny have nothing to do with the holidays, they were designed by corporations for non believers becsuse they wasnt to stuck you for your money.

Like..... How can we get money out of non believers during thr holidays.... Create fanciful charscters to appeal to them so thry spend there money on our products...

So really whose dumb?

Quoting MelCarter1223:

Seriously?! You're not really that dumb are you? The Easter bunny and Santa Clause have nothing to do with religion! I do not believe in God and I celebrate both Easter and Christmases for traditional purposes. It's not like I go around telling the kids the religion behind them. Smarten up people! If you're really all about religion, get rid of the Easter bunny, Santa, presents, etc. Celebrate the real reason for YOUR holiday.

Quoting momma0ffive:

i personally dont understand why you would celebrate something you dont believe in.  you just look like a hypocirte to everyone.  the reason for christmas is to celebrate christs birth..... easter because of his ressurection.  if you dont believe those things happened why do you celebrate them.  you can do whatever you want but your beliefs contradict your actions.  alot of times people think actions speak louder than words so if youre celebrating people may just think you believe.  i dont know.  i wouldnt say i didnt believe in something and then celebrate!  that just seems ridiculous to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephy187
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:14 AM

and I apologize for not reading all 68 pages of responses. and I admit I was a bit harsh but there was no call to tell her she was hypocritical for not incorporating Christianity in her celebrations.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Honey u are trippin I'm not judging anyone read the rest of my responses..... She asked for OPINIONS.... I gave mine thst is not being judgmental. Just because I dont agree doesnt mean I am judging anyone. I have learned a lot from this post actually. To assume anything else is being judgmental on your behalf. I apologize for confusing you...

Quoting Stephy187:

Quoting momma0ffive:

OK, all I'm going to say is read the other post that I quoted you in... and I absolutely must say that you are quite judgemental and highly intolerant of other's spiritual beliefs, or did you skip the Sunday School lesson where they taught "judge not lest ye be judged" or "he who is without sin shall cast the first stone".  Anyways, M4LG5, my dh and I have different religious beliefs, he is a devout Christian and I am a devout pagan. I have always celebrated Easter and Christmas even though I feel no Christian obligation to do so, because Easter for me is a celebration of the Earth's reawakening from slumber and Christmas is a celebration of its descent into slumber. My dh is respectful of my views and does not force me to church on these days opting instead to take the kids himself and then bringing them home so that I can share my celebration with them. And for the most part these two holidays have become largely commercialized based on the original pagan rituals so that anyone can celebrate without having any affiliation to either belief system. BTW my uncle was atheist and that never stopped him from handing out presents at Christmas or hiding eggs at Easter and it shouldn't stop you either.

momma0ffive
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM

really? really? we are talking about religion and your are going to attack my grammar  get a grip.  i was not being mean at all and i am sorry if any one took it taht way i am entitled to my opinion and if you dont like then dont read it....

Quoting MelCarter1223:

Uh still you. Check your grammar. I wouldn't have called you dumb if you weren't saying mean things to others. Don't dish out criticism unless you can handle it yourself.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Honey u better check yourself before u go around calling anyone dumb! Op asked.for opinions n we gabe them.... There is no right or wrong just what we believe.

Santa n the bunny have nothing to do with the holidays, they were designed by corporations for non believers becsuse they wasnt to stuck you for your money.

Like..... How can we get money out of non believers during thr holidays.... Create fanciful charscters to appeal to them so thry spend there money on our products...

So really whose dumb?

Quoting MelCarter1223:

Seriously?! You're not really that dumb are you? The Easter bunny and Santa Clause have nothing to do with religion! I do not believe in God and I celebrate both Easter and Christmases for traditional purposes. It's not like I go around telling the kids the religion behind them. Smarten up people! If you're really all about religion, get rid of the Easter bunny, Santa, presents, etc. Celebrate the real reason for YOUR holiday.

Quoting momma0ffive:

momma0ffive
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

i did not say she was a hypocrite for not incorporating christianity into her celebrations i said she was a hypocrite for attending a christian celebration she can celebrate whatever she wants when ever she wants.  this is just my opinion and was not meant to offend anyone

Quoting Stephy187:

and I apologize for not reading all 68 pages of responses. and I admit I was a bit harsh but there was no call to tell her she was hypocritical for not incorporating Christianity in her celebrations.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Stephy187:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Stephy187
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

How is she attending a christian celebration at home when she clearly stated that she did not recognize the Christian aspect of the holiday. I attend Easter and Christmas celebrations with my family at home, they incorporate christianity into them, I don't, does that make me a hypocrite? She did not say that she attends church services on these days, her dh doesn't either she said. So where and when is she being a hypocrite? 

Quoting momma0ffive:

i did not say she was a hypocrite for not incorporating christianity into her celebrations i said she was a hypocrite for attending a christian celebration she can celebrate whatever she wants when ever she wants.  this is just my opinion and was not meant to offend anyone

Quoting Stephy187:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Stephy187:

Quoting momma0ffive:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)