Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Bedtime for 12 year old?

Posted by   + Show Post
He is complaining that nobody since 4 th grade has had a bedtime. I make him go in his room at 8:30. He can read, which he normally does, until he falls asleep around 10. I feel he needs this time to unwind (and so do I). Plus he has to get up at 6 am so we can leave by 7:10in the am.
He says I'm treating him like a baby . But, really I just want him off the computer/games...and I want him to have down time..

Am I being overbearing?
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Replies (41-49):
styler7
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM
My 7th and 8th graders have to be in their rooms at 9, lights off at 9:30. They complain too, of course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larisa72
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

our son will be turning 12 at the end of the month and he and his sister are in their rooms by 8pm......our youngest is to be in bed with lights out no later than 9pm and our oldest is to be in bed with lights out by 10....we get up at 630 to leave by 730

melanielmcgee
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM
You're doing good mom. My 12 yo goes to bed at 9.
tightwadmomto2
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM

My oldest will be 12 next month and her bedtime in 9 pm. She has to get up early in the morning. It's different on the weekends she can stay up later but usually she is asleep by 9 pm lol

omamabean
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM
My DD will be 12 next month and goes to bed, lights out at 8 pm. She needs the sleep! So let him know he's lucky!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephy187
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Wow, I glanced through a couple of the comments left on here and I feel really lenient, almost too much so. My ds is only allowed one hour of video games and one hour of compter time a day and absolutely none after 9. (may be changing that to 8 now) He has to have everything ready for the next day and lights out by 10. He doesn't have to get up until 6:30 so he is getting at least 8 hours of sleep (some nights he conks out early). We only recently raised his lights out time because we were having problem with him waking up at 5 am, going back to sleep and then being difficult to rouse at 6:30. So far we have only had a few problems that were quickly nipped in the bud and that resulted in his current video game limitation. Am I being too lax?

treasure1212
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM

my 7 yr old bedtime is 9 sometimes earlier if hes had an eventfull day

melissah940
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I send my 11 year old to bed at 8 on school nights.  He hates it, but he needs the time to unwind before he falls asleep.  It takes a least an hour for most kids to relax from the stress of the day. trust me you're not the only mom that pushes this rule!

megs424420
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM
We just this week changed my 11 yr olds bedtime from 830 to 9. So far so good. Every kid is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN