Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Metal Detectors in all schools..

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM
  • 14 Replies

How would you feel about that? Would you feel it's an added safety precaution or would you feel it was a violation of ones rights?

I haven't read an article on this. Just an article on the most recent school shooting.

Do you think this is in our childrens futures at school? having metal detectors?

Personally, I feel it would be an added measure of security. It seems a lot of todays kids have gone totally off the rails.

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

It would be an added measure of security ONLY if there is a reason that it should be considered.

Reina13
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

It would be an added measure of security ONLY if there is a reason that it should be considered.

I agree with this.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

I can understand this POV. However,should the reason be a previous school shooting? I guess what I'm asking is..what is a good reason for you?

Barabell
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hmmm, I'm kind of the fence about this one. The idea of it kind of reminds me of my view on airport security in questioning the balance of it all. I mean my ultimate belief is that if there is a will then they will find a way. But at the same time you don't want to make things too easy for a crime to be committed in a busy, crowded environment. I actually think airport security is a lot of show to make us feel safe while flying and can't always prevent a real, genuine threat.

I'm really not sure if metal detectors would eliminate the problem. It could deter it some, but it also could provide a false sense of security to the people at the school.

Plus, there's the cost of the detectors, and then having security guards be there to make sure they're actually used....

Jerzymom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Oh yes I am all for it. Of course there is a reason. Even if there wasn't I would have no problem with it.

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

The students are entering the school's private property, so I think the school should have a right to say what comes into the school and to do what they have to to protect the students and staff in the school. Its just a metal detector, its not like they are doing full body strips, as long as they aren't bringing any weapons into the school, they have nothing to worry about.

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

So school shootings aren't a good enough reason...

Quoting M4LG5:

Wyldbutterfly
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Hmmm, I'm kind of the fence about this one. The idea of it kind of reminds me of my view on airport security in questioning the balance of it all. I mean my ultimate belief is that if there is a will then they will find a way. But at the same time you don't want to make things too easy for a crime to be committed in a busy, crowded environment. I actually think airport security is a lot of show to make us feel safe while flying and can't always prevent a real, genuine threat.

I'm really not sure if metal detectors would eliminate the problem. It could deter it some, but it also could provide a false sense of security to the people at the school.

Plus, there's the cost of the detectors, and then having security guards be there to make sure they're actually used....

You've brought up some very good points all worth discussion.

I too wonder where the money would come from to pay for the gaurds to run them. Maybe it could be a teacher who volunteers to run them.

I also wonder if this would cause an earlier start to the school day. After all it's not like it is an airport where people arrive hours early to catch a flight.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I understand what you are thinking and saying....better to be prepared before anything happens.  At the same time, the percentage of school shootings is a very tiny percent.  Also, if you create these types of prevention strategies, it may give more people ideas to test it. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting M4LG5:

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Nobodies going to shoot up a school simply to see if they can get past the metal detectors, thats ridiculous. In the US, 323 children have been killed in school shootings, thats not a tiny statistic, thats 323 children. If it would prevent just one shooting, it would be worth it. Thats one more child that gets to go home to their family and have a life, and I can't think of a single reason why having them would be a disadvantage.

Quoting M4LG5:

I understand what you are thinking and saying....better to be prepared before anything happens.  At the same time, the percentage of school shootings is a very tiny percent.  Also, if you create these types of prevention strategies, it may give more people ideas to test it. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting M4LG5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)