Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

In my other post about holidays and religions, quite a few of you have talked about being a Pagan.  I've definitely have heard of it before and all of you have reminded me that holidays and traditions pre-date Christianity and started with Paganism.

I have to say that I'd like to hear more about what that means to you?  Do you go to a church?  Do you do anything within your family? 

Though I'm an atheist, I still have a curiosity of religions and consider myself to be pretty spiritual. 

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
littlepinkrose
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I don't like being name called.  That is hurtful. I have not done that saying I am wrong fine.  Look I am wrong.  I just said that I do not want to know about Pagans because I am a happy Christian.  I said the Christians came first so they did not.  God all made us did he not.  That is what I believe.  I believe what you said but you can be  nice or rude.  I made a comment that I thought by asking someone who agreed with me that I was right I was wrong and take responsibility.  I am not going to research Pagan beliefs because you already told me.  I am not going to do more because I am not Pagan why learn about a religion I do not care for.  I did not try to make people like my religion I don't care what you do.  That is a personal choice that  surely smart people can make on there own and will not let a comment like mine guide them.  If so then that just shows me someone who cannot make informed decisions on there own.  I have always grew up Christian and will continue on in what I believe.   I like my religion.  It really does not matter what I say because I have seen that no one who may of thought I was right said anything and you can tell someone they are wrong without name calling.  There is a point in being nice.  I thought I was right and I was wrong.  O.K.  That is really all.  I just celebrate Jesus for my Holidays as we go to church and celebrate it that way.  But different strokes.  I also think that my religion is a good way to follow Christ.  Either you agree or not I do not care.  We all make our own decisions.  I would hope that my comment was taken as a grain of salt by most.  If not there are way nicer things to say to someone that is wrong.  Even if the person is fighting the point.  I am a good person who makes mistakes like us all.  When I correct others though I do not attack I say they are wrong show them then leave it alone.  Either you want to know more or not no need to bug someone who does not want to hear the same story forever.  You can tell me once nicely.  I am wrong fine it really has no life or death bearing.  I hope not for everyone's sake.  And smart people do also do not come here and take a comment as gospel truth I know I don't and I have a feeling that most Moms on here are smart enough to want to do there own research if they care to know more.  I do not believe I deserved the treatment I got no matter what was said.  Like I said people can say things nicely or mean. Nice is much better I am very smart I just do not care to do research on a religion I do not follow.  Your right I am wrong end of story.

Quoting Morrigan333:

@little pink rose: I've been bashed on here PLENTY of times, let me tell you!  What I was bothered by was that you were "informing" people ofsomething that simply ISN'T TRUE, and by your own admission, you said you don't care to research it either. My concern is..if you don't want to take the time to get the FACTS straight, simply don't express anything that you have NO KNOWLEDGE OF.  I wish you no ill will. I just wish you hadn't bashed the Pagans first by saying that Easter and xmas were from Christians. Paganism is older than dirt! That's why it's called "The Old Religion", before the rest of the Christians started trying to convert everyone. In fact, Pagans really are the only ones who don't go around trying to convert or "recruit" for our religion. Seventh Day Adventist do it, Jehovah's Witness does it, Catholics do it, Goddess KNOWS the BAPIST do it!  Pagans let others be. If someone asks a Pagan about something, we'll give them information, or where to find it, but we don't "preach" or try to convert anyone. We believe it's each and every person's job(or whatever) to find their OWN path, not be lead by the nose TO any specific path. Sorry if you took my message wrong.

Quoting littlepinkrose:

You took my comment out of proportion.  Yes I said that and it was not the best saying I said sorry.  I guess you cannot accept sorry.  I am not mean. I said the way I grew up and how I was taught.  I never said it was right or that you had to agree.  You can believe what you want and I will believe what I want.  I celebrate the Jesus dying and rising on the third day. I do not like the Easter bunny.  I celebrate Jesus on Christmas that is my religion.  I do not celebrate Halloween.  Matter of fact my church has a reformation party not Halloween party.  I do do allot of good things.  People at a different forum have already said how sorry they are that I had to put up with comments like yours and to stay away from stuff like this because you cannot just post a comment and let it be your own.  People like you have to ruin what was just an opinion. I can say and feel how I want as can you.  I never meant to hurt anyone and I never name called once ever. Unlike yourself.  I guess you can be that way when you speak bad of others you are speaking for yourself.  I love Cafe Mom and all who frequent here.  Please do not say mean things about me you do not know me. If you would like pm me and I will give you my phone number we can be friends not enemies.  Your right I know nothing about Paganism.  By choice though last I knew we could speak our mind and not get bashed I guess I was wrong.  I love everyone and am so sorry I offended you please it does not have to be this way.

Quoting Morrigan333:

@littlepinkrose: Paganism was wayy before christianity. The Christian EASTER is the Pagans Ostara otherwise also known as Eostre, thus becoming the Christian EASTER-can you see it? EASTER-Eostre, very similar, and the Pagans were celebrating it first because it was their celebration of the beginning of Spring on March 21. Look up Pagan holodays and you will get a page that says Wheel Of the Year, that will tell you what the Pagan holidays are and where and when they originated! I hate people who can't look things up.. it's so darn easy to do with a pc and the internet! Jeez.

Quoting littlepinkrose:

I do not know for sure when Christ was born. Christmas and Easter were not started by Pagans!!!  Pagans stole holiday and tried to pass it as there idea.  Yes Pagans were around before Christianity  and God also destroyed the world with a flood so hows that working for you.

Quoting Hpkdprincess:

I;m sorry but I must respond to this, Paganisim has been around BEFORE christianity. I was raised in a catholic house, have studied some religions on my own and consider my views to be close to Universal Unitariun. Easter and Christmas are very close to winter and spring soltic, coinsidence? no...When Catholics were trying to convert Pagans they based most of their holidays on Pagan rituals in order to incourage them to convert. Converting is always easier when it's close to a religion you already know. Side note- Christ was not born Dec.25, it's the date they christians used to coinside with Pagan's Winter Solstic. I could go on but it's time for DS to go to school...Namasta..

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Sorry but Easter and Christmas were started because of Christ not before him.  And yes Pagans made up there own holidays about it.  Of course you would lose respect for all other religions that's what it is about.  I am not about to forsake Jesus Christ for some misguided people who think they created the world. 

Hpkdprincess
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Littlepinkrose- people become combative when you tried to state opinion as fact. The whole point of the ORIGINAL posting was asking about PAGANISM. If you don't know anything it, or care to know about it ,why respond at all? I felt attacked by YOU because of your comments regarding my post. "so there" isn't exactly a grown up , mature God loving response. I can not believe blindly in any faith and I greatly enjoy learning about  all religions. Most are fascinating and have a good purpose. They should be respected, and not belittled. Personally I won't speak on a subject I know nothing about. I don't like to look like a fool. An excellent quote I found today sums it up...It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without excepting it -Aristotle

momma0ffive
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Sorry..... Fyi judt because you can find something online doesnt make it true or correct

Quoting Morrigan333:

@littlepinkrose: Paganism was wayy before christianity. The Christian EASTER is the Pagans Ostara otherwise also known as Eostre, thus becoming the Christian EASTER-can you see it? EASTER-Eostre, very similar, and the Pagans were celebrating it first because it was their celebration of the beginning of Spring on March 21. Look up Pagan holodays and you will get a page that says Wheel Of the Year, that will tell you what the Pagan holidays are and where and when they originated! I hate people who can't look things up.. it's so darn easy to do with a pc and the internet! Jeez.

Quoting littlepinkrose:

I do not know for sure when Christ was born. Christmas and Easter were not started by Pagans!!!  Pagans stole holiday and tried to pass it as there idea.  Yes Pagans were around before Christianity  and God also destroyed the world with a flood so hows that working for you.

Quoting Hpkdprincess:

I;m sorry but I must respond to this, Paganisim has been around BEFORE christianity. I was raised in a catholic house, have studied some religions on my own and consider my views to be close to Universal Unitariun. Easter and Christmas are very close to winter and spring soltic, coinsidence? no...When Catholics were trying to convert Pagans they based most of their holidays on Pagan rituals in order to incourage them to convert. Converting is always easier when it's close to a religion you already know. Side note- Christ was not born Dec.25, it's the date they christians used to coinside with Pagan's Winter Solstic. I could go on but it's time for DS to go to school...Namasta..

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Sorry but Easter and Christmas were started because of Christ not before him.  And yes Pagans made up there own holidays about it.  Of course you would lose respect for all other religions that's what it is about.  I am not about to forsake Jesus Christ for some misguided people who think they created the world. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kintop
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Sorry....FYI, but I have books that have the same info.  Just thought I would let you know momm0ffive.  Hope you had a nice day.

Quoting momma0ffive:

Sorry..... Fyi judt because you can find something online doesnt make it true or correct

Quoting Morrigan333:

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Quoting Hpkdprincess:

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

@mommaoffive: I don't need to look it up on the internet, I've grown into my path since i started studying The Craft and Paganism since I was 9 years old. I've known about this stuff BEFORE there even WAS an internet! Oh, and in case you think I'm some young tart, I'm 40 something, sweetheart. I've been on my path for a long while now!

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Morrigan333:

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Quoting Hpkdprincess:

Quoting littlepinkrose:

STKsMomma
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Ok! Well there is no reason to fight about it. I look at it this way I wasn't there, so I don't know 100% what happened. I can take what I read and only interpret what it means. To me only!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma0ffive
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

uuuuhhhhh...... all i was saying is you cant believe everything you read on the internet....  i wasnt attacking you or anything.

Quoting Morrigan333:

@mommaoffive: I don't need to look it up on the internet, I've grown into my path since i started studying The Craft and Paganism since I was 9 years old. I've known about this stuff BEFORE there even WAS an internet! Oh, and in case you think I'm some young tart, I'm 40 something, sweetheart. I've been on my path for a long while now!

Quoting momma0ffive:

Quoting Morrigan333:

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Quoting Hpkdprincess:

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Stephy187
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I hate when I here comments like this! It is a well documented fact that in A.D. 325 the Council of Nicea determined when and how Easter would be celebrated choosing to observe the ritual at the same time as the festival of Astarte to ensure that the pagan tribes being conquered by the Romans would be more inclined to accept the faith of the Romans by allowing them to hold their celebrations at the same time, as long as it was in the Roman god's name instead of the pagan gods. This article quotes respected Christian historians as well as Brittanica if you don't believe me...www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs/what-are-real-origins-easter/   I have studied several religions including Christianity, of which I was strictly raised and I have respect for all of them. I do not judge others for their choices because it is not my place, but I do not like seeing anyone accusing someone of being misguided when I know they only believe what they hear instead of researching the matter for themselves. I hope I have not overstepped any boundaries with this post, my only agenda is to provide a little education about your religion, because I'm sorry to say you are sadly misinformed.

Quoting littlepinkrose:

Stephy187
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Lets try this again, now that I got that out of the way. Paganism encompasses a wide range of religions and dieties. Most all involve a trinity, with the maiden the mother and the crone that represent the seasons of the earth and of life. I practice a very earthly based form of paganism of which I have not found the name of, that celebrates the changing of the seasons, in which all life is held valuable and is respected for what it provides us, and that it provides us. I do believe in only one goddess, the great mother, and I recognize the seasonal solstices and equinoxes. I live by a pretty uncontroversial set of standards, to love all, judge not and respect what the mother has provided, as in our mother earth for from her womb we were born, by her breast were we fed and to her arms we shall return. I do not believe in an afterlife rather I believe in reincarnation. This is what makes my spirit happy and complete and I'm comfortable with that. I do not force my beliefs on my kids or my husband who is a devote Christian but I welcome them to ask me about it and to even join in on my rituals. I believe everyone has the right to choose for themselves what they wish to believe but I instill in my kids the curiousity and motivation to explore religion so they can eventually choose one they feel comfortable with and be knowledgeable enough to defend. I hope this answers your question.

Quoting M4LG5:

In my other post about holidays and religions, quite a few of you have talked about being a Pagan.  I've definitely have heard of it before and all of you have reminded me that holidays and traditions pre-date Christianity and started with Paganism.

I have to say that I'd like to hear more about what that means to you?  Do you go to a church?  Do you do anything within your family? 

Though I'm an atheist, I still have a curiosity of religions and consider myself to be pretty spiritual. 

blooize376
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I consider myself pagan, earth based spirituality, I believe the higher power to both a female and male entity, male and female/yin and yang to things, I firmly believe the energy we put into our lives is the energy that is returned to us. I believe in kharma which coincides with the energy thing, the more positive you put out the more positive ur life attracts and the same with negative. My kids and I follow the earth cycles and thank the universe for the birth of new life at spring and plant flowers and embrace nature as it grows old and hibernates in the winter, when the world comes to a rest and sleeps in the coolness of winter so that as spring arises all awakens again. We study and talk about animals who follow the cycles, plants and how our lives areaffected. The miracles we see in birth of all living things, the respect we should all have for one another. I also teach my kids about whatever religion they want to know about. When they question me why people scream hateful things at the pride parade when their religion says they shouldn't judge, I just try and let them know we can only work hard at not being like that and hoping they find peace in themselves so they don't need to affect people in such a negative manner, when they ask about kwanza, christmas, easter, the sabbath, passover, hannaka (sorry for mispellings) we get books and talk to friends who celebrate. When people ask us what we celebrate we are happy to share our solstices and samhain, oestar, beltane and others. We do belong to a universal unitarian church which is wonderful because my children can grow nd learn peace and humanitarianism and grow into their own spiritual beliefs under a roof of likeminded peaceful people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)