Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

HPV Vaccine..Yay or Nay

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

HPV Vaccine Side Effects Are a Serious Safety Concern

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

syringeWell, now I know for sure what my answer will be when my almost 11-year-old daughter's pediatrician asks if we want the HPV vaccine at her next check-up: An emphatic "NO." I was leaning in that direction anyway, for various reasons (more on those in a minute), but the latest news on Gardisil pretty much sealed the deal -- and if you have a tween girl, it might do the same for you.

In a study of 900 girls and young women between the ages of 11 and 26 who received the HPV vaccine, it was the 11- to 12-year-old group who experienced the worst side effects, from pain, dizziness, bruising, and swelling at the injection site to (in rare cases) fainting. These symptoms generally showed up about two weeks after the vaccine was administered.

What bothers me about these findings isn't that any of the side effects are so horrific or life-threatening -- though of course it doesn't help that my daughter happens to be at the riskiest age. What bothers me is that researchers are still in the process of finding out what Gardisil is capable of doing to kids, but the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics are acting like it's perfectly safe.

Maybe it is perfectly safe. Unfortunately, we don't know that yet. Unlike all of the other vaccines my kids have gotten so far, the HPV vaccine is new -- so new that it's impossible to tell at this point what the long-term "side effects" could be. And like I said, maybe there aren't any. But why should I allow my daughter to be a guinea pig?

Are you concerned about Gardisil's potential side effects?

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
minimo77
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Its just too new for me to ever consider, so no way.

bupkie
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I sure am... I don't have girls... I have boys... but I am suspicious of any new vaccine's potential for side effects.   It is the *unknown* factor...     

Did you hear about the group of several girls in upstate NY with sudden Tourettes-like symptoms?  There are more of a dozen of them... as well as an adult and a boy... that attend the same Jr/Sr High School all suddenly developing the same symptoms.   Even Erin Brockovich has been out to test if there are environmental causes.  

No official cause has been found.   

What if it is something medical?   Like if the teens were vax'd earlier in the year and this is a side effect that is showing up?  Maybe it's something in a particular *lot* of the vaccine?  Maybe it's not that at all....    But they are giving the vaccine to boys too... the adult that has the symptoms is a Nurse Practitioner...  maybe it's some rare secondary nervous system infection or something...   who knows.    

Yeah, I can come up with all sorts of "what if's" that are off the wall... and probably wrong...  but it's the unknown that scares me... Until something is tested and safe, yes I will be nervous...

Momforhealth
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

with this new healthcare thing...are they going to force it on our daughters?  Take away our right to decide?

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I refused the vaccine for my son last year at his well child appointment.  Like Bups, it is the fear of the unknown and all of the what ifs that make it very difficult for me to let my children receive this vaccine.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I will not be letting my sons or daughter get this vaccine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Connie127
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM
not sure

mostlymaydays
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM
I'm not sure. But my sister was 37 last year and had a hysterectomy because she developed cervical cancer from HPV. She never had children. I'm afraid of vaccine side effects, and afraid that my kids could get cancer like my sister did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanmoss
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I find out in a week or so I guess DD just got that shot as well a few days ago when she got the TDAP.

styler7
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM
My kids won't get this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

again with this topic?  Been done soooooooooooo many times in this group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)