Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

did you tell them?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM
  • 24 Replies

My daughter is almost 9 years old and aparently she is the only one in her class that still believes in all the holiday "people"  easter bunny, santa etc.  She kept asking me the other day and I hate lying to her plus I am a HORRIBLE liar. I want to tell her but I don't at the same time.  If you told your kids, what did you say?

Plus it drives me crazy since she is no longer interested in toys she's always asking for things like a cell phone, laptop, game systems (crap I really can't afford!)  I think it would be easier on us to have her know the truth!

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

What exactly is she asking you?  If she is asking if they are real, then she is most likely questioning it and at that point I'd spill the beans.  I'm not sure what the benefit of prolonging it would be.  Neither of my children believe any longer and I honestly find it to be much more fun now that I don't have this crazy charade to keep up with.

tntrobinson
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I dont know your religious beliefs you could tell her about Jesus and the real meaning of the holidays. If you do not believe just tell her the truth 9 years old is old enough to know that the easter bunny is not real and I wouldnt give my kids expensive gifts for easter maybe just candy and a card or a small toy.

Barabell
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I didn't tell him, but he knows. When someone asks him if he still believes, he just grins.

Nikkij-j
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM

she flat out asked if we did all the stuff.  I would still have to keep the "charade" and have her do it too because I have a 5 and 6 year old too

Quoting steelcrazy:

What exactly is she asking you?  If she is asking if they are real, then she is most likely questioning it and at that point I'd spill the beans.  I'm not sure what the benefit of prolonging it would be.  Neither of my children believe any longer and I honestly find it to be much more fun now that I don't have this crazy charade to keep up with.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

In that case, I would be very honest with her.  I would also make it clear that it is the responsibility of those who know the secret to keep it going for those who still believe.  Meaning she can only talk to you about it and no one else.  This worked very well with my boys.  Neither has told their younger cousins and the oldest didn't tell the youngest either.

Quoting Nikkij-j:

she flat out asked if we did all the stuff.  I would still have to keep the "charade" and have her do it too because I have a 5 and 6 year old too

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm feeling wicked!

auroragold
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

When DD asks - "are they real" - I'll ask her what SHE thinks.  If she thinks they're real I won't say anything to the opposite.  My kid, my choice.

Stephie849
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM
My dd is 8 and has known for years they are not real but every holiday she believes and she knows better than to tell the other kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

My kids know that none of this is real but they don't let on to other kids that still believe.

AirForceWife13
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are 12, 11, 11, 8, 7 and 3 months and still al believe in everything. They have never questioned it. They've never had their friends say anything either. As long as they believe they I will let them. If they ever question it I will tell them they are real but we as parents do it for them because they are too busy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saille717
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM

If all of her peers know the truth then I'd tell her the truth.  You don't really want her to be known the rest of her school years as that girl who believed in the Easter Bunny.  When my son was going into 5th grade, so 9 going on 10, I sat him down and flat out told him there was no Santa.  We'd discarded the EAster Bunny and the Tooth Fairy years earlier as ridiculous.  Santa stuck around a while longer, but headed into 5th grade I felt he'd be mocked by other kids if he still believed.  Once I flat out said it he told me he'd really known for a while, he just didn't WANT to not believe, so it was as much fun for him to pretend as it was for me to think he still believed.  And there was also the fear that he wouldn't get as many presents ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN