Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question and vent on appropriate Tween clothes - Update in replies!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 29 Replies

Hello everyone,

I have a question on appropriate dress for tween girls.  My daughter is 11 and is in 6th grade.  She hates jeans and anything tight fitting.  This is because she is VERY curvy for a 11 year old.  I'm only sharing this so you understand my frustration.  She's a 36C up top and wears a Misses 8 or 10 on bottom and fills them out.  I'll explain below but I need tips for how to keep her modest but allow her to dress in fashionable clothes.

We did find one brand of jeans that fit her well at Old Navy but they are expensive, $30 a pair.  I bought her one pair on sale and I do plan to get her more as I can afford them. Our compromise is that she's allowed to wear jeggings. Jeggings are like leggings but they are thicker.  We buy a size larger so they are not too tight (they fit like traditional jeans)  and she has to wear a long shirt to cover her rear.  So today she went to school wearing her jeggings which she has worn all year, and a long shirt with a half sweater.  Right after I dropped her off, I get a phone call and all I hear is Mom... then I hear someone yelling at her that she's not supposed to be on the phone. I turned around and went back to the school.  She needed lunch money anyway so I just made like that's what I was there for.  They called her down to the office and she told me that the gym teacher said she was inappropriately dressed!  She told her that her shirt was too tight (it was a little form fitting which is why she had on the half sweater but it came down well over her thighs and it was NOT tight across her rear.  The office lady said that when they wear tights (these were not) that the covering has to be fingertip length.  Her shirt was just above fingertip length but well over her behind. 

I'm not sure what to do.  I did go home and bring her another shirt after talking to hubby (who also saw her outfit and approved it).  I am very serious about my daughter being modest and she knows that.  I would never let her leave the house looking like a hussy but I want her to be comfortable.  She does wear sweatpants occasionally but she like to dress nice and trendy for school.  I don't mind as long as she is covered.  She can't help that she's curvy.   She's not promiscuous and not boy crazy like some of the other girls. I don't want her to have to feel self conscious when she goes to school.   This is why I wish we had uniforms!!!

Sorry this is so long and thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Margaret
Margaret
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM

It's very hard to find appropriate clothing for our girls. My DD is 14 and it's a battle when we go shopping. Not because she wants to dress skimpy but because there is nothing appropriate!

My DD hates form fitting clothing and she's no wear near as curvy as your DD is.

I honestly wish a clothing maker would make a modest line of clothing for teens and tweens.

othermom
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I am not lookjing forward to the teenage or preteen years. Looking at the clothes that are for sale for kids it is just sad

emilyrosenj
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Me too! I used to love Justice but lately their styles are yuck and she can't fit all of their stuff anymore.  On another group someone suggested JCPenney junior plus for us so I'm going to check them out.  She's not plus by any means but she cannot fit regular juniors because of her shape.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

It's very hard to find appropriate clothing for our girls. My DD is 14 and it's a battle when we go shopping. Not because she wants to dress skimpy but because there is nothing appropriate!

My DD hates form fitting clothing and she's no wear near as curvy as your DD is.

I honestly wish a clothing maker would make a modest line of clothing for teens and tweens.

Margaret
mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Wow- she is my size... how tall is she? You may have to start looking at misses clothes. Is she started puberty early, the good news is that she might be almost done growing so the clothes will last longer.

Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

My DD does not fit in to Justice clothing anymore, she definitely wont fit Junior plus. She's in juniors now. I buy her a size 9 in jeans because they don't fit like gloves. She needs to wear belts with those but even so... It's just ridiculous that I can't find clothing for her.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Me too! I used to love Justice but lately their styles are yuck and she can't fit all of their stuff anymore.  On another group someone suggested JCPenney junior plus for us so I'm going to check them out.  She's not plus by any means but she cannot fit regular juniors because of her shape.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

emilyrosenj
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM

She's about 5'3" or 5'4" and she's thick, a little bit of a belly but she's not significantly overweight, about 6 lbs over.  She does wear mostly misses which is hard because a lot of the shirts are low cut.  So I keep her stocked up on camis.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Wow- she is my size... how tall is she? You may have to start looking at misses clothes.

Margaret
Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Layers is a must or the cleavage will be exposed!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

She's about 5'3" or 5'4" and she's thick, a little bit of a belly but she's not significantly overweight, about 6 lbs over.  She does wear mostly misses which is hard because a lot of the shirts are low cut.  So I keep her stocked up on camis.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Wow- she is my size... how tall is she? You may have to start looking at misses clothes.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Hmmm... It's hard to even find modest clothes for adult women these days so I understand your frustration. Unfortunately I have no advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Aeropostale?   That is the brand a lot of tweens wear around here. That and hollister. American Eagle is also popular.

Do you know if there are any second hand stores that market for teens? We have places like Platos closet that only sell bigger kid/juniors clothes.

emilyrosenj
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

She's too thick for those stores but thanks for the suggestions!  We do have some thrift stores in my area, I'll have to check and see what they have.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Aeropostale?   That is the brand a lot of tweens wear around here. That and hollister. American Eagle is also popular.

Do you know if there are any second hand stores that market for teens? We have places like Platos closet that only sell bigger kid/juniors clothes.

Margaret
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)