Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Should we talk?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM
  • 103 Replies

The dangerous stuff that kids are doing now like the jello shots, cinnamon, choking game, etc. I have talked to my son about a couple things, but do you think that talking to them helps or do you think it will increase their curiousity to try it?

Does the good of discussion outweigh the bad of possibly giving them the idea?

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STKsMomma
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I have had the same thought! And honestly I don't know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM
I wonder the same thing... As far as I know, my kids know nothing about these things. I don't want to make them curious to try any of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vale131
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Yeah - the little stuff I did talk about he gave me a look like "what the heck are you talking about" so maybe now is ok but as he gets older and "wiser" - hmmm

TwinSoccerMom
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:01 PM
10 moms liked this

I think communication is always important - especially about tough subjects. We do not do our kids any favors by shielding them from real life. Age appropriate and on-going conversations are vital to keeping the lines of communication open with our kids. When you ask them if they have heard of something (like the cinnamon game) and they have, talk to them about the very real dangers of such an activity. If they haven't heard about it, move on.

auroragold
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM
4 moms liked this

discuss

definitely and positively discuss

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM
5 moms liked this

I am a believe that knowledge = power and by talking to our kids about these tough subjects we are giving them the power to handle it when approached to try any of these things.  If you wait until your child first hears about it to talk with them, it very well may be too late.

Cindy18
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

This and I can almost guarantee that some of those things your child does know about, YOU just don't know that THEY know.

You know how many parents say, I never thought they would do that!!

Quoting steelcrazy:

I am a believe that knowledge = power and by talking to our kids about these tough subjects we are giving them the power to handle it when approached to try any of these things.  If you wait until your child first hears about it to talk with them, it very well may be too late.

Cindy

kmrtigger
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

THIS!!!

Each and every chance I get I talk to the kids about these new issues popping up in the news.

kmrtigger
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

So true.

Quoting Cindy18:

This and I can almost guarantee that some of those things your child does know about, YOU just don't know that THEY know.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Barabell
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I agree with both of these. Many times when I bring a new subject up because it's new to me, I'll ask my son if he's heard of such and such before. I'm surprised by how many times he already has heard something.

It's definitely important to help give your kid the strengths and an "out" when they might be confronted by peer pressure to try one of those things. So far, my son hasn't been offered any of those things, despite having knowledge of it. I'm hoping it'll stay that way for a while longer, but he's growing up fast and I have to be realistic about it.

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN