Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

family rules and dicipline what to do?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello I am new to this group, I am blending a family my new df, and his children and my two. Our house is chaotic at times becasue there is no respect. We are all now in counsaling and she told us to come up with family rules, that we stand by. We need to come up with basic rules, and consequences. I have set some rules in place but I am not sure what consequenses to use...What is appropriate for each child? 8/9/11/13 these are the ages.

Any advise would be great especially on the consquences part.

I have always been lax on punishing my children so they run my life, my df has always been to hard, so his are difiant... we are starting to come together on this now thru consaling but still need some help.

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Barabell
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Would just grounding the kids from electronics and/or friends work? That's usually what we use with our son. Electronics seem to work better for him than friends, but we'll ground using either or both.

Barabell
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

....also, welcome to the group! I think you'll find this group to be very supportive. :-)

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I definitely think you need to get on the same page and be a little stricter....if for anything but for your kids.

We use the same 3 "rules" as their school.....be respectful, be responsible, be safe.  If you are doing something that does not fall into any of these then you get a talking to.....if it's quite serious, time out (or go to the room) for the amount of minutes they are old OR for however long it takes them to calm down to talk to them.  If it persists, they are grounded from the next "birthday party" (because they are constantly invited to one) and/or grounded from computer/TV.

kmrtigger
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Welcome to the group.

When we came up with the family rules, hubby and I sat down and discussed what we felt were in order and needed. Then we sat down with the kids and discussed the rules, asked them for a few of their own suggestions. And then did the same for the consequences and discipline for breaking the rules. All this was put in writing and each member of the family signed them. These rules, etc. hang in the hall with the calendar. And I put them in that direction when ever the kid needs a gentle reminder of the rules they agreed upon.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Consequences can be grounded from friends and outside to taking away their favorite or most cherished things. It can be extra chores or losing their allowance. In short, you have to find out what works for each child as each child is different.

I'm glad you're in counseling because when two parents don't agree it can be brutal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN