• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - cat on a leash

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:25 AM
  • 46 Replies

Curious..............do you think there should be a "leash law" for cats?  They're either inside, on your property or leashed...........just like dogs.

Why?  Why not?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:28 AM
No, because in most cases cats don't attack people. I think leash laws are to prevent attacks aren't they? Not really sure. We don't have one where I live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:30 AM

I think there should be, for sure! Not an actual Leash Law, but definitely keep them in your sight. My Neighbor across the Street has about 5 or 6 Cats. They let them go all over the place and one of them is always in our Yard. It even walked into our House once when I opened the Door to go outside.

The Cats are outside all day and they call for them at night.

We're in a very rural area, and people drive like morons on this Street. One of them is going to end up roadkill.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:54 AM
No. Because cats don't attack people walking down the street, if anything they glare at or ignore you. They aren't prone to strew trash like a group of dogs,either. Thier feces is not as disgusting (although they will hit a flower bed or uncovered sandbox) but they typical defecate where it is undetectable. Besides I've tried to leash a cat before..... it's pretty boring as cat's have to wear harnessess typically and don't move much if something is on their back. :-) don't believe me? Just try a sweater on them and watch them stiffen up and just stop moving. They aren't up for a jaunt around the neighborhood. you won't explore that grassy tunnel like they saw a cricket hop into.
All that being said, as an adult, I have only one out of three cats that could go out because he was street smart. Now he's an elder and the younger ones could kill him. He stopped expressing interest last year thank goodness
bupkie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:58 AM

^^A sweater on a cat? ^^  OMG, can you imagine what the cat was thinking?   LOL!  

auroragold
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Quoting Zamaria:

No, because in most cases cats don't attack people. I think leash laws are to prevent attacks aren't they? Not really sure. We don't have one where I live.

no - they're not to keep dogs from attacking.

auroragold
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hollydaze1974:

No. Because cats don't attack people walking down the street, if anything they glare at or ignore you. They aren't prone to strew trash like a group of dogs,either. Thier feces is not as disgusting (although they will hit a flower bed or uncovered sandbox) but they typical defecate where it is undetectable. Besides I've tried to leash a cat before..... it's pretty boring as cat's have to wear harnessess typically and don't move much if something is on their back. :-) don't believe me? Just try a sweater on them and watch them stiffen up and just stop moving. They aren't up for a jaunt around the neighborhood. you won't explore that grassy tunnel like they saw a cricket hop into.
All that being said, as an adult, I have only one out of three cats that could go out because he was street smart. Now he's an elder and the younger ones could kill him. He stopped expressing interest last year thank goodness

If your cat were constantly in my yard deficating and/or killing the wild birds that I attract to my yard -- -and I asked you to keep your cat off my property, how would you handle it?

Cafe MichelleP
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes. I dislike seeing paw prints all over my car where my neighbors cats have jumped up and walked all over. I also dislike having to clean up cat droppings from my flower beds AND have my son hissed at while he is playing in his own backyard, by a cat that has been let out.

I also think that cat owners should have to carry around bags and go behind their cats to clean up their feces just as dog owners do.

auroragold
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

This part specifically.  I do not see the difference between cats pooping in my yard and dogs pooping in my yard.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Yes. I dislike seeing paw prints all over my car where my neighbors cats have jumped up and walked all over. I also dislike having to clean up cat droppings from my flower beds AND have my son hissed at while he is playing in his own backyard, by a cat that has been let out.

I also think that cat owners should have to carry around bags and go behind their cats to clean up their feces just as dog owners do.

jaytee
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I do. I dislike seeing their paw prints on the car too. I also don't like being hissed at. And, ever heard of cat scratch fever?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christi34
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I actually seen a man at the park one day and he had his puppy on a leash and his cat on another leash. It was too cute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)