Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do you think your child is "mature"? Think again!!!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM
  • 48 Replies
4 moms liked this

Since I've been on CM, I have seen and been part of very heated discussions about ages for cell phones, email, facebook, walking home alone, etc.  Many moms will say "well, my child is mature" BUT......there is research that will tell us differently.

I'm constantly surprised to hear people believe their child is the exception but, let's be honest, every child is capable of making bad decisions and live their world according to instant gratification.  It's not their fault though.  They may be more "mature" than other kids but no one is really self-sufficient until about 24 or 25 years old. 

Here is a good article to read about frontal lobes.....then you will see what I mean:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124119468

If you want more information about how the development of frontal lobes affects your child's decision making and attitudes, just google frontal lobes and you will see a TON of research about why the frontal lobe is so important and how teens really don't get it.  haha

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this
As a future counselor I am very shocked by a lot of the replies by how everyone's kid is the exception- someday there is a good possibility that kid is going to make the wrong choice and reality is going to hit. Hopefully it won't be too late.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Great! So I have 4 and a half more years to deal with my son and his ridiculousness?

And another 11 for my daughter?

HELP ME NOW!

STKsMomma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Mmm. Well that explains a lot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Great! So I have 4 and a half more years to deal with my son and his ridiculousness?

And another 11 for my daughter?

HELP ME NOW!

haha!!  no kidding!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

As a future counselor I am very shocked by a lot of the replies by how everyone's kid is the exception- someday there is a good possibility that kid is going to make the wrong choice and reality is going to hit. Hopefully it won't be too late.

exactly.  I know my oldest (8) does make good decisions most of the time but I also know that she is only 8 and without reinforcement or habit, she could very well make bad decisions especially when presented with a new situation.  I am just hoping for the best every single day.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I understand the articlebut I just dont see these issues in my 14, 11, and 8 yr.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that they don't make wrong choices or won't make the wrong choice at the wrong time. I have seen the smartest, best kids of the bunch make some dumb decisions, it doesn't mean that they always did, or that they continued to after that. You also have to remember that kids are good at hiding stuff from parents. Just because we don't think they are making bad decisions or messing up, doesn't mean that they aren't. It just means that we have to be vigilant and watch closely, ask the right questions and be there when they need us the most.

Quoting momto3infl:

I understand the articlebut I just dont see these issues in my 14, 11, and 8 yr.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM
I know they Will make mistakes we as humans learn from those. but we have many open conversations so i am asking many questions and believe what they are telling us.

Quoting psych_mom:

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that they don't make wrong choices or won't make the wrong choice at the wrong time. I have seen the smartest, best kids of the bunch make some dumb decisions, it doesn't mean that they always did, or that they continued to after that. You also have to remember that kids are good at hiding stuff from parents. Just because we don't think they are making bad decisions or messing up, doesn't mean that they aren't. It just means that we have to be vigilant and watch closely, ask the right questions and be there when they need us the most.

Quoting momto3infl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM
So, do you think your children process things and have the same decision making skills as a 25 year old?

Quoting momto3infl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM
At times and depending on the 25yr old.

Quoting M4LG5:

So, do you think your children process things and have the same decision making skills as a 25 year old?

Quoting momto3infl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)